navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Seeking Remedies
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Seeking Remedies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
The_Nameless_One
since 2007-01-20
Posts 165
Missouri

0 posted 2007-01-24 10:24 PM

this is going into a school poetry contest I would like some help with it please be as harsh as you want to but also helpful please

I am salvation
For the bleeding mind
Seeking remedies
Of the outer rind

Vacuuming away
Thoughts that death bequeeths
The corking of all
Vile anger that seethes

Refilling the void
With absolute joy
Vanquishing the dreams
Sadness will deploy

Happiness was found
Now no longer vague
New range of feelings
Curing all the plague

[This message has been edited by The_Nameless_One (01-25-2007 05:35 PM).]

© Copyright 2007 Preston Morse - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2007-01-27 07:27 PM

I don't understand your title. The poem is religious in nature, but it's too vague to really intrigue me -- try to be more specific.

You've got some problems with the rhythm -- particularly 'vacuuming away' and in a few other points, but when I read it out loud it comes off okay. The question ultimately is what kind of tone do you want here? Do you really want 'vacuum' and 'rind' in a poem about, at least I think it is about, a rather serious subject?

The_Nameless_One
since 2007-01-20
Posts 165
Missouri
2 posted 2007-01-29 06:01 PM

well at first in place of rind i had kind but then i thought people would think about aliens or something of that nature. I don't have anything in mind to replace vacuuming thanks for the input. I didn't mean for this to religiously themed its really about just overcoming the darker side of emotions but that's cool I guess its more about how others perceive I would like to know what other spots the rhythm is off in I'm not that great I just started trying to write poetry so I really need some help
trutodaraiders
since 2006-12-02
Posts 820
CA
3 posted 2007-01-29 08:41 PM

I thought you did a great job especally on you syllable count.
rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
4 posted 2007-01-31 02:36 PM

More to it than syllable count, meter content etc..

of the outer rind

Rind????? Use a better word that is really common and boring also what did you mean to say with that rhyme.

[This message has been edited by rhia_5779 (02-02-2007 03:49 AM).]

The_Nameless_One
since 2007-01-20
Posts 165
Missouri
5 posted 2007-02-01 11:02 PM

would "My thoughts realigned" in place of  "Of the outer rind" sound better and make more sense?
rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
6 posted 2007-02-02 03:50 AM

Would sound better but doesn't work with the stanza you have
viking_metal
since 2007-02-02
Posts 1337
In a Jeep, Minnesota.
7 posted 2007-02-02 07:38 PM

I am salvation
For the bleeding mind
Seeking remedies
Of the outer rind

What are you saying? You are salvation to someone in particular, or everyone in general? Salvation from what? This is a total abstraction, I understand nothing. Good for a high-school contest, but not so good for high level poetry.

Vacuuming away
Thoughts that death bequeeths
The corking of all
Vile anger that seethes

Seethes and BEQUEATHS do not rhyme. Is there a mourning rage going on here? An anger caused by someones death? The writers death?

Refilling the void
With absolute joy
Vanquishing the dreams
Sadness will deploy

Whats refilling the void? What dreams? Are they nightmares? black dreams? White dreams? Dreams in all red? Once again, totally an abstraction.

Happiness was found
Now no longer vague
New range of feelings
Curing all the plague

Change now no longer to just no longer. "Now" is useless here, all it accomplishes is taking up space. What range of feelings? What kind of feelings? This poem is still to abstract for any read to really understand.

This poem is not horrible, it has potential. To me so far, it seems like it's a "journal entry" poem. One that I'd write down on random, and would later decide what to do with.

1. Expand the vocabulary in the poem, and use more adjectives.

2. Take your time. It seems like this was rushed. Edit, and re-edit, and re-edit again. Then re-post. I'd be glad to critique again, If you repost.

Not meant to be too harsh, but I did what I felt neccessary, no hard feelings!

Good luck with poetry and the contest,

-Paul

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Seeking Remedies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary