navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Bukowski
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bukowski Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA

0 posted 2007-01-13 10:54 PM

Hi, all. Here's another one.

I realize that I can
only read Bukowski now.
I read Plath, and Poe, and Parker
and feel like I can’t breathe.
Whitman doesn’t speak to me anymore.
All his naturistic themes
make me feel like I’m lost on a camping trip,
taken the last year of college
to fill an elective.

I just killed a knat
on my dining room table
but another one just took flight.
Flight like that of my thoughts
under the influence of gifted brandy.
Thanks to my brother-in-law
I’ll be able to write again,
and understand what Charles was trying to tell me.

cs

© Copyright 2007 Dane Barner - All Rights Reserved
Skippyrick
since 2006-05-16
Posts 150
Rohnert Park
1 posted 2007-01-14 06:50 PM

CS:

I dont know why but there does seem to be something I like about it.  Some of the lines are just fun to say maybe. yet as some will say what makes this Poerty?  

I would more than likly try to put the beging more near the end and maybe move "Flight like that of my thoughts under the influence of gifted brandy." closer to the begining.  I might even make the Knat an ant.

What more can I say?

thanks
Rick

MoonShadow
since 2001-08-02
Posts 943
Dark side of the Moon.
2 posted 2007-01-14 07:37 PM

That tenaciously bothersome entity that sometimes bites without warning and is cursed, in some geographic locations, with the nickname "No See um", which if magnified would appear to be a flying pair of teeth, is spelled with a 'G"... gnat.

MoonShadow

ChristianSpeaks
since 2006-05-18
Posts 396
Iowa, USA
3 posted 2007-01-14 10:31 PM

Hey, thanks for the comment Rick. I thought this was a little on the quirky side, but if you take it apart there may be something in there for someone. Pictures from my head to yours.

CS

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2007-01-20 02:15 AM

Bukowski -- he seems to be either loved or hated. I for one definitely think there is a place for him (though admittedly I haven't always thought so.). I can't help but think that many who strive for higher things lose a lot in their collective derision of Bukowski and W. C. Williams.

UseTheIllusion
since 2006-02-06
Posts 223
In a state of limbo
5 posted 2007-01-20 05:02 PM

Being a huge fan of Bukowski (albeit his stories, rather than his poetry), I think I "get" this one; being lost on a camping trip, the gnats.  I like it quite a bit.  I can especially empathize with the idea of his work being "light", if that makes any sense.  Reading him after struggling through romantic work is like going from a towering, imposing gothic cathedral to a beautfiul, open mosque.      
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Bukowski

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary