navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Someone's child
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Someone's child Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Beau de L'air
since 2006-08-03
Posts 105
Middlesex, England

0 posted 2006-08-04 03:32 AM

To the girl with the pearl earring (and her sisters.)

Time will kidnap each one in turn, and carry them,                        
While he makes believe and spins tales of nothing.
He leads them to water, but they know the way.
And his heart beats, and beats, veins in a stringed instrument.

Somebody’s child is dancing in the night,
Soon, every child’s a man, and every sigh a woman;  
And Psyche sees herself.  For the first time.
Narcissus, we can look but we never touch,

Not really.          

© Copyright 2006 D Gettings - All Rights Reserved
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
1 posted 2006-08-04 04:16 AM

Wow-I've never watched The Girl With The Pearl Earring, but the tagline's "Beauty Inspires Obsession."

I love the rhythm-undercurrents! Bringing us to Narcissus. Along with the fable, the narcissus flower grows, once believed to entice Persephone to the banks, so that Hades could abduct her. You've managed a clever twining with the Ameninias(sp?)story...bigger than my thoughts right now, whew! (Or maybe, my narcissic tendencies prevents me from making that leap?) I'll be back on that one. For now, I'm getting the *narcissic soul, in action, like the depths of water, undiscovered.

Interesting that you suggest The Goddess Of The Soul "sees herself for the first time." It makes sense, because if she's always looking after others, she's no time to look after herself, (except perhaps while she is gazing into water?...a *Hades-full water?) Oooh.

Incidentally, your line "soon, every child's a man..." reminds me of The Sun card in the Thoth Tarot deck. "...(children) dancing outside the wall, they typify the new stage in human history..." (Remembering that they're children, are they strong enough to survive?) In your poem, they've grown into men, so I assume you'd think so, if it's relevent to your intention.

Beau de L'air
since 2006-08-03
Posts 105
Middlesex, England
2 posted 2006-08-06 10:41 AM

Kif, you are a witchy sort and don't deny it. To be frank, I have no detailed idea why it is the way it is.  You should have seen the earlier drafts, full of sturm & drang!  x  BdL'
kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
3 posted 2006-08-06 12:42 PM

"sturm and drang", dang.

I just like the pictures. Art Is All.

I wrote something called 'Death Chant' in the Insights forum about my witchy ways...not always a cackle.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Someone's child

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary