navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Shapeless
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Shapeless Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought

0 posted 2004-11-01 12:23 PM

I always thought that time was sand.
Like when they tell you it's an hourglass
and you believe it, just because it's simple.
Then, grain by grain you watch it falling
into a mound of nothing.

Shapeless.
And you were.

I could have sworn you were every bit
as dead as Lincoln or Washington
or Grandpa.

But time was real. Alive, even...
It slipped and ticked and moved,
and I believed it was time
that would offer you life.

So, when I stopped your time
I didn't understand
that it already captured you.
That you were alive.
Shapeless.

But never lifeless,
until now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a pro-life poem. (No, please don't start a political discussion.) I'm doing it for school. Anyway, I don't like how this turned out. I think it loses any strength it had at the end. Help! Please! Or should I just scrap this one and start over?

Thanks for your time.

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

© Copyright 2004 GG - All Rights Reserved
b.costen
since 2003-11-02
Posts 107
ontario, CAN
1 posted 2004-11-01 03:32 PM

You're right, it does lose its strength by the end, but the beginning first line is nicely gripping.

After:
I always thought that time was sand.
Like when they tell you it's an hourglass
and you believe it, just because it's simple.
Then, grain by grain you watch it falling
into a mound of nothing.

You run out of breath apparently, the poem goes south as soon as the second stanza.  You might be able to rejuvinate it in the next one, but you don't.

"or Grandpa" really kills things i think

I'd try over again starting from the end of the first stanza, maybe in a few weeks time from now, see what you come up with... as for school, i hardly think they'll notice any especial lack of "quality"

ben

so what's it going to be then, eh?

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
2 posted 2004-11-02 02:32 AM

Ben,
thank you for your help. I really just didn't want to do the cliche "mommy, today would be my birthday" thing, but can't come up with what else to say. I'll work on it some more after that first stanza. Thanks again for the tips!

Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

quatro
since 2003-04-29
Posts 392
Galveston, Texas
3 posted 2004-11-11 10:08 AM

CG,

I like the flow of this and I feel as you that towards the end you have lost it's power --it's meaning.

May I suggest maybe referring to "timeless" as in freezing a moment in time or preserving a momento in place of the stanza begining with "So when I stopped your time..."

This may not be very helpful, but I thought that I'd try provoking your muse.

Keep writing.
quatro

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
4 posted 2004-11-12 09:15 AM

Oh, so that's who "you" is. Now I get it.

It makes sense when I read it knowing what it's about- nd you did wonderfully not using the "Mommy, it's my b-day" or even better, the "Mommy, what's that thing coming toward me?" Cliche.

I don't mind the grandpa line. Washington and Lincoln are legendary. Grandpa is personal- it brings the poem in for the personal punch.

But that doesn't change the fact that I didn't know this was about abortion until I read the explanation. Maybe I title hint (and dear God, please don't entitle it "abortion"- lol) something like... Oh, I dunno, D&C comes to mind, but maybe that's mean to women who have D&C's for non abortive reasons... D&E then? The Suction... oh never mind, that's way to garish... sorry.

My other suggestion for this being more clear would be to somehow reference that the "you" in the poem is inside of narrator- physically. Maybe expand on the hourglass metaphor- the shapeless sand/fetus being inside of the hourglass figure (or maybe not so hourglass, depending on gestational age) of the mother...

Hope I've helped. And I like the idea you have here.

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
5 posted 2004-11-17 08:50 PM

I don't think it loses anything until

"...That you were alive.
Shapeless.

But never lifeless,
until now."

At that point it just kinda ran out of steam.

I dunno, maybe you need to complete the thought on this stanza with something like:

"So, when I stopped your time
I didn't understand
that it had already captured you,"
had wound you up
and started your years.

-------------

Something to complete the "time" train of thought...I don't think "Shapeless" works at all in this setting.

The only thing I see truly lacking is the ending and I think maybe if you took more ownership in the ending it would bring it all together . . . because I read it as a mother, with new understanding, regretting what she's done.

It's a terrific write thus far, truly lacking in cliche, which is hard enough to accomplish and still treat this subject well.

And "grandpa" I believe should stay...it's the first true personalization
in the piece and sets the emotional tone for what follows.

Always enjoy reading you...

jwesley

~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams
6 posted 2004-12-09 12:46 PM

i think it's completely incoherent.
i can't relate at all.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
7 posted 2004-12-09 06:33 PM

In the end I scrapped it for the school project and did something else instead. I may still decide to finish it/redo it just to have it done... but I'm still going to give it a bit of time first. I still recognise it too well and can't start the way I'd like. Thank you all SO much for you replies and help.

quatro,
good advice. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I go to redo it. (My muse needs all the help it can get!)

hush,
yeah... it definitely needs something to make the actual subject apparent. I'd started once to try to reference the 'inside me' thing, but it really didn't work. It should, though, and when I take it back up to work on, I'll definitely do that. As for the title I'm thinking your med-studentness is coming through lol... but the title definitely is in need of change. Thanks much for the help

jwesley,
I think that's where it really goes down, too. Though it starts falling a couple places before that, too. Good advice and I'll keep those things in mind when I work on it again. And the ideas for ending the stanza help a lot, too. Thank you!

DC,
then how can I make it better? Or, should I completely and utterly scrap it? Either way is fine with me but a bit more defined critique would be helpful. Anyway, thank you for your comments. It's good to know there's still a big lack in the poem.

And again, thank you everybody!
Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

~DreamChild~
since 2001-04-23
Posts 544
in your dreams
8 posted 2004-12-10 12:43 PM

i think you should add something a little more tangible. the poem is so shapeless.

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
9 posted 2004-12-11 01:31 AM

Yeah, maybe she should write about sparrows and use the word sparrow eighty times. That would make it better.
cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
10 posted 2004-12-11 01:44 AM

I think it is possible at times to have too much help and one should be descriminating in the critiques he or she is willing to accept. I certainly wouldn't remove anything more than a filler word here and there such as "and" or "that"
I have to agree with Hush on this one. You have a good idea in this piece and it needs very little in my opinion to give it more impact. The suggestion regarding "hourglass" is good. But I hope you keep the title.

Sid  
If you must carp: Carpe diem!

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
11 posted 2004-12-12 12:41 PM

I enjoyed this as well.  

Just some suggestions toward structure and wording.  Please know they are just that: suggestions.

I always thought that time was [like] sand
Like when they tell you it's [in] an hourglass [as they (or men) say]
and [as] you [may] believe, just because it [is] simple.
Then, grain by grain [,] you watch it falling
into a mound of nothing.

The use of "you" in the first stanza really feels awkward to me though.   It may help to just remain in the third person here:

...[in] an hourglass [as men say]
and [men] believe, just because it [is] simple.
Then, grain by grain [,] you watch it falling
into a mound of nothing.

Shapeless.
And you were.

I could have sworn [swear] you were every bit
as dead as Lincoln or Washington
or Grandpa.

But time was real:  Alive, even .
It slipped and ticked and moved,
and I believed it was time
that would [might] offer you life.

So, when I stopped your time
I did [not] understand
that it already captured you.  
That you were alive.
Shapeless.    

But never lifeless,
until now.

epoet
since 2000-05-11
Posts 291
grand rapid,MI, usa
12 posted 2004-12-13 09:00 AM

I agree that this poem is a little confusing when it comes to the subject matter.  The personalization of the writer feeling the remorse is missing.  I too think the shape idea could be expanded upon to help us realize the aborted pregnancy.  Try taking that idea of going from the tradititional "hourglass" figure and idea you started with and show how the figure gets expanded and goes back to "hourglass" after the abortion.  Just an idea.

P. J. Kotrch
carpe diem
A soul once touched is a soul once blessed by love

silvergriffinfire
since 2003-03-13
Posts 21
middle of nowhere
13 posted 2005-03-30 01:21 AM

I like this poem!

The first time I read it I didn't see the abortion connection at all, but could see it when I read it again. I actually liked it better when I wasn't thinking about abortion, because the idea of a child as shapeless doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I almost think it might be better if you took the shapeless idea (which I think is neat) and made it into a different poem completly, and used a different idea to get the abortion message across.

Within the sounds of silence...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Shapeless

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary