navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Liquidity
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Liquidity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley

0 posted 2004-03-13 11:01 AM

Liquidity

empty pages
filled with empty lines
full of empty words

MTV eyes
filled with empty image
full of empty joy

preempted minds
filled with empty slogans
full of other’s thoughts

educated egos
filled with correct answers
full of defined words

childlike wonder
filled with tabla rasa
den i zens emptiness

© Copyright 2004 gourdmad - All Rights Reserved
eminor_angel
since 2003-05-22
Posts 323
Canada
1 posted 2004-03-15 07:28 PM

Your message is true. Your delivery is quite blatant and literal, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. However, it does make the reading of your many stanzas somewhat repetitive and boring, though I'm sure people will disagree with me, as usual. I like your title.
Grover
since 2004-01-27
Posts 1967
London, ON, Canada
2 posted 2004-03-16 10:55 AM

First off, I'm not a pro-poet. But I'd like to share my opinion. Yes, I readily see Angel's point-- as well I'm certain you did when you wrote it. But, oh how I like it very much! I really don't think you'd have been successful with a partial/total rewrite without losing quality. I think in order to get the desired contrast, and the extended metaphor you did the very best thing. The rhythm is very nice... I only tripped a bit over one word (preempted). The diction is clear and most suitable. The ending is very clever!
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

3 posted 2004-03-16 11:27 AM

just opinion.. but I lost interest in the repetitive use of words. Not easy to pull off repeating the same words in a short poem and hold the readers interest. The concept is not bad, but I think the presentation could use a rewrite.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 2004-03-16 02:00 PM

at the risk of seeming repetitive myself...far too many filled and fulls...throw in a few cliches and a poem marshalled by the repetition and it needs lots of work. Concepts usually don't carry themselves..

K

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
5 posted 2004-03-22 11:16 PM

Based on your skill level, I'm going to assume that you are capable of taking some blunt critique and not freaking out: very sophomoric. MTV eyes? That's right, fight the power, man!

The only part I didn't find cliche was the last stanza, which I didn't get. (My fault, not yours, I'm sure.)

Hope I've helped.

BTW- Grover- I'm impressed.

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
6 posted 2004-03-23 12:02 PM

Tx all for comments. I was going for a repetitious thing, which I apparently succeeded at to a degree. The idea is the repeated cycle of material life, each stanza a theme

object of senses

senses

mind

ego

(with the final stanza meant to be the breaking of the cycle)

liberation

using the word "denizens" in the verb form, as in "populates"

I am wondering, tho I know you never get a second chance to read a poem for the first time, if the last stanza would be better understood if it were like this (my first runnerup to the final choice)

childlike wonder
filled with tabla rasa
denIzens emptIness

a123
since 2004-03-27
Posts 72

7 posted 2004-03-27 07:04 AM

I LOVE THE THIRD STANZA WHERE YOU TALK ABOUT PEOPLES MINDS FILLED WITH OTHERS THOUGHTS DOES MEAN A LOT I THINK YOUR POEM MAKES A LOT OF SENSE EXCEPT THE LAST STANZA DIDNT UNDERSTAND WHT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY
J.Samm
since 2004-01-12
Posts 415
Iloilo City, Philippines
8 posted 2004-03-27 07:57 AM

i found the poem very meaningful as a whole...the repetitive use of some words throughout the poem lends some rhythm to it, but it sounds a bit overdone (i often get to be guilty of that too)..you can also try other styles to give it a rhythmic quality...great message, though
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Liquidity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary