navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Me Real The
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Me Real The Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley

0 posted 2004-03-06 05:49 PM

Me Real The

?real more what’s
image mirror my
image self my ah, or,

© Copyright 2004 gourdmad - All Rights Reserved
Grover
since 2004-01-27
Posts 1967
London, ON, Canada
1 posted 2004-03-06 06:22 PM

Clever... backwards, but clever! Grover.
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

2 posted 2004-03-06 11:04 PM

Over-obvious methinks....

K

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
3 posted 2004-03-07 09:52 AM

You end (start) with 'or'... where's the rest of the thought? Something led up to this epiphany.

BTW- I agree w/ Severn.

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
4 posted 2004-03-08 10:46 AM

If its obvious, why would you have to ask?
:-)

Then again , there is always that balance between what is obvious to the sharply honed critically trained mind, and what is obvious to a reader who comes across the poem while reading a long string of poems in another more casual setting.

I thought by not titling the poem "Maya" i was in danger of of making it too unobvious, but perhaps not.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
5 posted 2004-03-08 11:24 AM

I see no purpose in writing backwards. If it was meant to challenge then it did not. If it was meant to be cute then it was not. I think you make a stronger statement without such artifacts.

All JMHO, of course.

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
6 posted 2004-03-08 12:44 PM

I guess I meant that it was obvious that it was supposed to be clever.

Maybe if it made coherent sense somehow reading it forward as well? Not so sure that that's possible, but it would make it a less frustrating read.

j0n4th4n
since 2003-03-11
Posts 94

7 posted 2004-03-08 05:05 PM

inovative!
grassy ninja
since 2003-07-20
Posts 41
Kentucky
8 posted 2004-03-09 08:22 AM

i don't particularly care for this poem.  without its backward-ness, it has nothing to make it interesting or thought-provoking to get the reader involved.  the mirror-image/self-image play here borders on cliche.  even if the backward-ness is symbolic (and i'm assuming that it is), i don't see enough original material here for an enjoyable poem that makes the reader think.  maybe you could write a longer poem, with the backwards part being the alluded to epiphany.  not sure if i'm any help at all here.  
gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
9 posted 2004-03-10 10:35 AM

Sorry if it seems I am dragging this out beyond any balance due such an insignificant piece. That so many respected persons bothered to comment, I am grateful.

I did get thrown because the comments weren't what I was expecting and that expectation may have been coloring my perception of what was being said. So I went back and reread them and these two seem to stick out as unanswered by myself.

"You end (start) with 'or'... where's the rest of the thought?"

To me, the "or" is in the middle, but emphasised like an end word. Mirrors reverse, but don't invert. What I was trying to say in this was that as the image in the mirror is an illusion of the physical body, likewise the physical body is an illusion of the true self. I really thought I had buried that too deep, but when the "obvious" comments came, I thought that was what they were referencing.

"Maybe if it made coherent sense somehow reading it forward as well?"

While I hoped it made some broken English sense reversed, I did have the sense it was coherent forward.

What’s more real?
my mirror image
or, ah, my self image

the hesitancy of the "ah" makes it seem incoherent? That was supposed to be the hint that that self image is no surety either, implying the Soul. It is also how I got the concept of maya (my ah) introduced directly, which truthfully I thought might be too subtle for Western readers.

I also had the idea of presenting it this way:

Me Real The                     The Real Me

?real more what’s          what’s more real?
image mirror my              my mirror image
image self my ah, or,    or, ah my self image

but I was afraid a casual reader would just skip reading the left side and not read "maya" which was the key to unlocking it at least in my plan. The other alternative was to put the right side in under neath as a second stanza. But in the past I have been told I wasn't subtle enough so just dropped it all together. Oh well, man proposes, God disposes.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
10 posted 2004-03-12 03:48 PM

I don't know, I wouldn't worry so much about whether someone 'gets it' or not. We can talk about it later. The problem, I think, is that the trick you've presented isn't really what a mirror does anyway.

yawyna seob rorrim

-- and even that doesn't do it right either.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

11 posted 2004-03-12 04:32 PM

I agree with Pete on this one...
I just fail to appreciate that writing backwords works as a poetic form.

seems more a parlor trick..

but just my opinion

a123
since 2004-03-27
Posts 72

12 posted 2004-03-27 07:13 AM

YOUR POEM REALLY MAKES ONE THINK AND HAS QUITE AN EFFECT. I THINK THE FACT THT ITS SHORT IS WHAT MAKES IT IMPACTFUL.I SUGGEST YOU DONT WRITE IT BACKWORDS THOUGH.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Me Real The

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary