navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » trying to figure out meter
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic trying to figure out meter Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

0 posted 2004-02-24 11:03 AM

Okay, I bought a book that I could learn about meter, how to do it, what it is, etc.  By the way, it defines what a poem is (which is awesome, because as I thought my poetry isn't poetry just because I want to call it that - technically anyway) But I need some help. I'm going to put some stuff in here and I'm wondering if someone could pick the meter apart for me.  

I'm aiming for iambic here. (is this iambic? haha)

Love burns my heart as though I were on fire (iambic?)

Days solitude, hours lonliness
(is this anything?) I tend to go by syllables, and I can't tell if this is iambic or not

Okay, enough for now.  I feel a little silly, but I want to learn - thanks for anyone's reply.  

© Copyright 2004 Copperbell - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2004-02-24 11:39 AM

Here is how I scan your first example (others may see it differently) when I read it as I naturally would speak.

LOVE BURNS / my HEART / as THOUGH / I WERE / on FIRE

Notice that I want to stress the first as well as the second syllable, making it a spondaic foot. Love is the key word in the line and, as such, it is not natural for it to be unstressed. This can be an acceptable variation in an otherwise iambic line. It tends to break up the monotony as well as produce emphasis. Used sparingly and in the proper context, it can be a good thing.

Speaking of context, when actually put into some context, the line in question might well be truly iambic.

That brings us to your second example. As is, I really get no particular metric feel from it. Yes, you can (and someone probably will) force it into something that has a name. But it will not be a meter commonly used. Again though, when put into some context, it may well develop a more metric feel.

Hope this helps a little.

Pete

BTW, I should add, now that you have your book on meter, the way to understanding is to read lots of poetry. Try to figure out what meter, if any, the author used and why. It shouldn't take long before you can just feel it at work without having to analyze.

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

2 posted 2004-02-24 02:55 PM

Thanks. I think I will try to read more poetry to get a feel for it.

Another question, I notice you are from Oklahoma, would a person's accent affect the meter?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2004-02-24 03:52 PM

And I am looking for an audio tape that illustrates meter.

Does anybody know if such a thing exists?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2004-02-25 02:53 PM

Serenity, I did a little looking, and haven't been able to locate anything yet.  However, if you want to listen to metered poetry being read aloud, try this link...

http://www.luminarium.org/sevenlit/donne/donnebib.htm

It may be of some help.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

5 posted 2004-02-26 12:27 PM

Shivers - it defined what a poem was? Well, that gives me grave cause for alarm...

That's all I have to say - meter and I don't get along lol.

K

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
6 posted 2004-02-26 01:00 AM

Water Meter - measuring device that allows the water/sewer department to raid my bank account

Power Meter - see above, insert power company

Thermo Meter- tells me how to dress for the day

Speedo Meter - saves my butt from sure speeding tickets

Poetry Meter?--  makes me slobber on myself trying to read properly

J

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

7 posted 2004-02-26 11:39 AM

Hmmm, is it then a matter of opinion?  This book defines it as "the expression of thoughts which awake the higher and nobler emotions or their opposites, in words whose rythm tends toward uniformity or regularity, rather than toward variety."

It does say the rythm of prose tends toward variety and poetry toward regularity...I don't know - I just don't think every short thing I write is considered a poem, just because I want to call it that - (I have books of it!) I want to know what makes it a poem as compared to prose - as compared to short statements.

If the above definition is true, then maybe a big part of it is how people respond to it.

Jamie -

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
8 posted 2004-02-26 03:56 PM

kilometer - dogmatic free versers
centimeter - forced rhythms that are bad
millimeter - poems ground to dust fitting them into meter
nanometer - the lowest level at which meter may be preceived

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
9 posted 2004-02-27 02:20 AM

quote:
Meter: A measure of rhythmic quantity, the organized succession of groups of syllables at basically regular intervals in a line of poetry, according to definite metrical patterns. In classic Greek and Latin versification, meter depended on the way long and short syllables were arranged to succeed one another, but in English the distinction is between accented and unaccented syllables. The unit of meter is the foot. Metrical lines are named for the constituent foot and for the number of feet in the line: monometer (1), dimeter (2), trimeter (3), tetrameter (4), pentameter (5), hexameter (6), heptameter (7) and octameter (8); thus, a line containing five iambic feet, for example, would be called iambic pentameter. Rarely does a metrical line exceed six feet.”
FOOT:
A unit of rhythm or meter, the division in verse of a group of syllables, one of which is long or accented. For example, the line, "The boy | stood on | the burn | ing deck," has four iambic metrical feet. http://www.poeticbyway.com

As Pete noted, without a definite context, your second example is hard to pin down as a particular metric foot. But if I were forced to pick one, I’d be inclined to read it in a natural breath and would have to say Spondee on that as well.

When going for a particular metric form, such as Iambic tetrameter, (four beats per foot), it’s desirable to add a bit of variation to keep it from sounding too mechanical, i.e.,. “Tuh Dum, Tuh Dum”
The fixed forms are good practice, but you should attempt to make a poem your own, initially by placing your words in the best possible order. Keep in mind that the reader will be inclined to read the lines naturally, and not necessarily conform to your idea of whatever pattern you think it is supposed to be.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primetimerhyme.com

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

10 posted 2004-02-27 12:12 PM

Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback - I do feel that I learned something here - along with a few laughs.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » trying to figure out meter

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary