navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » While Ian Dunbar Sleeps
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic While Ian Dunbar Sleeps Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland

0 posted 2004-01-23 08:26 AM

While Ian Dunbar sleeps,
men with boots trace arabesques
on porridge coloured skies.
The Nith is paralysed
and the moon decides to shine again
on lawns, on little children
disappeared.

While Ian Dunbar sleeps,
taxis purr through sleeves of street,
the night has an eggshell innocence,
smooth like baldness
and the clock strains against the weight
of our sweet
fears.

While Ian Dunbar sleeps,
in the little time
it takes for candlelight to pass,
or to sip a glass
from the river Lethe,
there is no need of death,
or tears.

© Copyright 2004 Craw - All Rights Reserved
cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
1 posted 2004-01-23 04:44 PM

Craw,
I tried finding something to nitpick, but in the end the only thing I would even dare suggest perhaps, would be dropping, “and” in S1-L5, “and the” in S2-L5, as well as “an” in S2-L3 to even the meter slightly. I say this realizing that the overall meter does not follow a strict pattern. I can see that you have one trochaic line in an otherwise iambic first stanza for example. In my opinion, such variation here, is not a distraction, for you have woven so much rich imagery into this rather short piece that I would be willing to ascribe any other possible bumps to purposeful modulation.

Perhaps other, more discerning, more self confident critics could come up with better suggestions. I’ll defer to their judgments on this one, for I enjoyed it far too much overall.
Thanks for sharing.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primetimerhyme.com

Astro
since 2003-01-08
Posts 69
Ca.
2 posted 2004-01-23 07:26 PM

Yeah, I've got to agree with ol' Rus on this one. This poem isn't standard fare. Very nice.

I especially like the name Ian, which is plenty popular in Scotland, but pretty rare in the States. My brother's name is Ian, so I've always had an affinity for it.

The meter is a bit odd. I thought, in the first stanza, that you were going with a trimeter, but it didn't last past the fourth line. Since this isn't a metrical poem, I will keep my critiques to the content and subject.

I'm guessing the "Nith" is fairly important because, through its paralyzation, the moon is allowed to "shine again". What is a Nith?
I looked it up...oh, wait. I found it. It's a river. Okay, that makes sense.

I guess what I'm having trouble with is the theme of the poem. I understand the attention to detail in a single, otherwise unmentionable, moment. The man sleeps, life goes on and the world moves as it always has. There is no need for death in the light of the moon and rivers. Why is there no need for death? That would be my only criticism --the question left unanswered: what is your theme? As of now, the last line seems to suggest that death is unnecessary and that it's better to sleep and dream than to face reality. Eh?

Sight is an always awful beginning

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2004-01-23 08:14 PM

Hey Carw, I guess I'm impressed by this effort too. I do have a couple of tiny suggestions that seem to me to smooth the flow. 1) I would drop and from S1-L5 and end L4 with a comma. 2) I would consider droppint the from S2-L3 and change the comma at L2 to a semicolon.

Like I said, pretty minor. I really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.

Pete

BTW, I forgot to mention, I really enjoyed the critiques from Sid and Astro.

forne_marin
since 2004-04-13
Posts 140
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 posted 2004-04-14 01:35 AM

The meter seems to have been covered, so I'll keep this to emotional impact. First off, the concept of "men in boots" "trac[ing] arabesques" is a very vivid contrasting image.

All in all, it's very beautifly done, but I was wondering what an "eggshell innocence" is?

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
5 posted 2004-04-14 07:38 PM

Eggshells speak of a delicate state. "Walking on eggshells", for example is now quite cliche'.
"Eggshell innocence" on the other hand is quite freshly stated and when used to describe night, can evoke many possible images.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primetimerhyme.com

If you must carp: Carpe diem!
ICS

Grover
since 2004-01-27
Posts 1967
London, ON, Canada
6 posted 2004-04-14 08:40 PM

An impressive write, charged with insight and emotion. True enjoyment to read through a few times!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » While Ian Dunbar Sleeps

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary