navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Unheard in the Late Waning Moon
Critical Analysis #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Unheard in the Late Waning Moon Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley

0 posted 2004-01-06 11:33 PM

Not the loud whistling of duck’s feathers
as they drop swiftly, braking hard
just before settling on the pond

Not the whir of mourning dove’s wings
as they break from the seed feeder
when you turn the corner

Not the high pitch of the hawk’s quills
whose speed of attack in noisy day
requires no masking in descent

Mere rush of dark air caresses the cheek
as soft edged wing span swoops by
Owl, unsensed, until he is past

© Copyright 2004 gourdmad - All Rights Reserved
cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
1 posted 2004-01-07 06:46 AM

This made me recall something I had read about owls being among the most silent of predators—certainly of raptors.
I’ve read where scientists are now attempting to study their feathers in order to learn more about their stealth abilities.

At first, I wondered where you were going with this, but it held my interest and then you summed it up well in the final stanza.

Your meter is a bit bumpy however and you need a better word for “unsensed”, such as undetected.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primerhymeetc.com

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2004-01-07 02:52 PM

Gourdmad~
This held my interest with the creativity of your thoughts~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram
         noles1@totcon.com

wintertao
since 2003-11-17
Posts 366
Okaloosa Island, FL
3 posted 2004-01-07 08:12 PM

I will just give an overall impression of this as being much weaker than your other work I have read here, much I considered Excellent.
b.costen
since 2003-11-02
Posts 107
ontario, CAN
4 posted 2004-01-07 09:06 PM

I think it contains some neat language, and of course there's the ending ... but wintertao seems to think you're capable of better... I think he's probably right.
cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
5 posted 2004-01-08 12:37 PM

There will be many that fall below a reader’s expectations and far too many that will fall below our own.
But if the only comments a critic, on a critiquing forum, can offer are vague ones such as: “You can do better.” He/she is as much as slighting the writer and the readers of the forum.
For, if that critic feels a work is below an author’s usual standards, he/she should be willing to offer a reason, whereby we may all learn.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primerhymeetc.com

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
6 posted 2004-01-08 04:40 AM

Like the idea: some bits I have doubts about. 'The whir of mourning dove's wings'- what's a mourning dove? Might be better 'the mourning/mournful whir of doves' wings' but you'd still have the problem that whirring isn't a particularly mourning or mournful sound. Doves' rather than dove's, of course.

Third stanza, the lines 'whose speed of attack in noisy day/requires no masking in descent' seems a bit clumsy.  You're stressing the sensual impact of the birds - 'whistle', 'whir', 'rush'- and this stanza has 'pitch of quills' which is too diluted for me, too weak. It's the 'day' that's noisy, rather than the hawk, though 'requires no masking in descent' implies a real sound's coming from the diving bird. I think this stanza could be simplified to make it as accessible as the others and to bring the dynamic feeling/sound engendered by the bird into line with what you've accomplished in the other two stanzas, a contrast to the silent, understated owl.

It's maybe me, but in the last stanza you're saying that the owl's unnoticed till it's passed and yet in line two you're identifying what 'the rush of dark air' is as a 'soft edged wing span'. (Why not just wing? I'm not sure a wing span swoops) I would be inclined to drop the second line altogether:

a mere rush of dark air (mere rush? maybe rush or mere rush could be substituted with a word more in keeping with the image - whisper?)
caressing the cheek,
owl, unsensed until it's passed.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Terrible title by the way.

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
7 posted 2004-01-08 04:26 PM

Titles are always the hardest part for me. I view them as necessary evils, acknowledge this is an especially bad one.

I was going for louder wing sound thru to no wing sound. Mourning dove, is the name of a specific dove, (dict."a dove, zenaidura macroura, of North America, so called from its plaintive cooing"). It has a very distinct wing sound when taking off, different than a pigeon, perhaps not a whir but what...?

If you run your finger down the edge of a hawk quill, it is stiff. An owl quill, on the other hand, as mentioned by cynicsRus, is very soft and offers no resistance, hence no sound. Which at night it is a world more of sound than sight, and silence of attack more needed.

What I have failed to convey is that the owl is considered a harbinger of death, in, but perhaps not limited to, Lakota and Italian culture. I happen to know that, so it makes sense to me, but doesn't come across at all, on rereading with zen mind. Having said that the "mourning dove" is one unit, I also did want "mourning" to sort of anticipate the death omen thing, but it so way understated in the owl verse as to be nonexistent. Have to think about this one for a while.

The air from the owl wing reaches you after the owl has passed, should you ever have the experience of one cruising you in the dark, which I did once and it was a vivid experience.

The whisper suggestion is very good. Definitely going to use that.

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
8 posted 2004-01-08 08:32 PM

quote:
I was going for louder wing sound thru to no wing sound.

This is the one thing I felt you were at least attempting to convey in this piece; that, next to an owl’s, the sound of any other bird’s wings by comparison would seem as a much louder cacophonous shrill, whir, whistle, etc.

A Mourning Dove taking wing definitely causes a sort of whirring sound. Very unique and unmistakable.

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primerhymeetc.com

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
9 posted 2004-01-09 08:36 PM

Been puzzling on the title thing.

how about

Deathsound

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
10 posted 2004-01-09 11:11 PM

quote:
how about Deathsound

Isn't that a rock band?

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com
www.primerhymeetc.com

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
11 posted 2004-01-09 11:27 PM

Could be. I never listen to rock, fairly ignorant about it.
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

12 posted 2004-01-10 12:26 PM

Deathsound?

Nasty.

Rockband or teen angst poem.

Neither suits the poem.

K

gourdmad
since 2003-12-01
Posts 136
Upper Ohio Valley
13 posted 2004-01-10 07:48 PM

Ok. One more try.

Last Sonance

Not the loud whistling of duck’s feathers
as they drop swiftly, braking hard
just before settling on the pond

Not the whir of mourning dove’s wings
as they break from the seed feeder
when you turn the corner

Not the high pitch of the hawk’s quills
whose speed of attack in noisy day
requires no masking in descent

Whisper of dark air caresses the cheek
as soft edged wing span swoops by
Owl, unsensed, until it is past

Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
14 posted 2004-01-11 08:34 AM

Good. Still don't think the final two lines in stanzas 1 and 3 are quite fluid enough. 'Just before settling' seems a bit clumsy. Why not simplify it to something like 'braking hard on the cool surface of the pond'or something that flows better. 'Whose speed of attack in noisy day/requires no masking in descent'seems similarly overcrammmed to me.

Better title.

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
15 posted 2004-01-11 03:43 PM

I actually still prefer the earlier version over this—including the title, which helps set the stage. I agree that parts of it still seem rough, but think it’s mostly in the overall cadence.
And, I still don’t like “unsensed”

Sid @ www.cynicsRus.com www.primerhymeetc.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #2 » Unheard in the Late Waning Moon

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary