navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Fishing in the springs with my RC and peanuts
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fishing in the springs with my RC and peanuts Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
BloomingRose
Member Elite
since 2000-08-09
Posts 3092
Florida

0 posted 2001-03-04 03:10 PM

Fishing In The Springs
~*~
Warm spring morning calls
squirming worms in a bucket
as bubbling crystal clear springs
summons fishing poles to cast bait
my cold RC sweats in anticipation of the wait
while wise large Brim knowingly debate
baby Brim attack,
eager to be the first to catch the worm
guess I'll drink my RC and eat my peanuts

BloomingRose

© Copyright 2001 DebraS. - All Rights Reserved
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

1 posted 2001-03-04 10:50 PM

quote:
Fishing In The Springs
~*~
Warm spring morning calls
squirming worms in a bucket
as bubbling crystal clear springs
my cold RC sweats in anticipation of the wait
while wise large Brim knowingly debate
baby Brim attack,
eager to be the first to catch the worm
guess I'll drink my RC and eat my peanuts

I really enjoyed this poem, BR!

You have used good imagery and this isn't the average style - innovation is usually a good thing.  

I have a couple of suggestions:

I think that perhaps in this line:

the word 'summons' might work better as 'summon' - the two plurals 'springs/summons' don't sound right back to back - and it is made even more awkward by the sibilance in the rest of the line.

Also, I wonder why you have a comma here: 'baby Brim attack,' when you don't have any other punctuation? It's kinda out of place lol...

One other thing:

'eager to be the first to catch'

I just feel that this line is a little mundane...I think that if you changed the word 'catch' to something more poetic/original it would brighten the whole line up...

anywho, on the whole I liked this very much. Thanks for the opportunity to critique your work - and Oscar is the MAN.

K

...and I have found a lifetime can be lived in one moment...

BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
2 posted 2001-03-05 08:53 AM

What a great picture this brought to mind Deb ~ and a few great memories... love this. Bonnie
BloomingRose
Member Elite
since 2000-08-09
Posts 3092
Florida
3 posted 2001-03-05 01:26 PM

Severn~ Thank you for taking the time to read.
I appreciate the advice. It's been a long time since I was in school. I admit I was not one to open a book if I could help it. Shame on me, it shows!

Bonnie~ Thank you. I always did like to fish and it's spring here in Florida, so it's that time of year.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 posted 2001-03-08 02:00 PM

I liked this very much.....cept for Rc....haha that stuff tastes like cheap coke.....ewwwwwwww...
I truly enjoyed this poem. I thought it was written well. It managed to soothe me....very well done.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Fishing in the springs with my RC and peanuts

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary