navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Excommunication
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Excommunication Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland

0 posted 2001-01-01 04:22 PM

I took for granted
that I would be rooted
in the soil of my community.
Is that privilege not my birth right,
to be openly held by kin and fellowship?
Yet I have never cast anchor,
so I remain in constant drift,
Though,
through no fault of my own..
Hell if I had a say,
I would bury these
feet in my native clay
and give my weary heart
an abode
in which to belong.  

The canal is in perpetual
overcast, its grey temples
has been a solace
and torment many a time,
and it was in its shadow
that I was first dealt
the exile hand,
encircled in
solitude.
The only respite is the house
my grandparents once lived in,
where we now occupy,
barricaded by long ambling fields,
the out side never dares
to seep inside this threshold.  

I retain perfect anonymity.
standing alone, cut from the confines
of  my locality, where neighbours
are mere strangers, and I have no
placement, just a spare part in an
ever burning machine.
My history
is not written in this land.
since they first cut the cord
I have been floating free
for so long
it is all the same to me.

It's in your eyes a fire that's wild and glorious
Unhibited, unfinished in everything I do Let the morning rise like our hearts desire" whipping boy

© Copyright 2001 brian madden - All Rights Reserved
Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
1 posted 2001-01-01 06:01 PM

Yes  its hard when you dont feel accepted or fit in anywhere. I can relate to it at the mo. But this is good work tho.

Life has got to chnage,
Nothing stays the same,
Soon it will be time,
For me to move on.

pegasus111
Member Elite
since 2000-07-27
Posts 2219
ocala, fl, usa
2 posted 2001-01-01 09:31 PM

I have been there and know the gnawing feeling you speak of..well done.

the woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and many miles to go before I sleep...Frost

Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
3 posted 2001-01-01 09:45 PM

Hi Brian,

You hit the nail on the head with this one, very powerful and very true about the consequences that can follow with a excommunication, it does not matter what form or kind of separation of this kind you may find your self in it has a devastating out come, I know, I can understand believe me I do, very wisdom filled friend, thank you I shall keep this one.

Love, Cerenity

"God doesn't have to be reminded that we exist.
We have to be reminded that He exist!"

(Writer Unknown)

kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
4 posted 2001-01-02 12:43 PM

You write powerfully of alienation.  I, too, have felt isolated at times in my life.  It is, perhaps, the price you pay for being your own person in a small closed society, no matter where or what that society may be.  Thanks for the good thoughtful read.

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
5 posted 2001-01-02 06:10 AM

brian, i picture this child staring out at the horizon with the sea before him, who watches the sun slowly set and thinks that even the sun doesnt care enough about him to stay...

i dont know if this reply is called for, but that was what your poem did to me...

always a privilege to read your work...

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

6 posted 2001-01-02 06:43 AM

Brian, I enjoyed this piece very much, great writing as usual  

Maree

"If my words could blanket the skies
and fill every corner and crevice of
this earth, still this wouldn't be enough"
"Maree Russo"

Quiet One
since 2001-01-01
Posts 46
Shhhhh
7 posted 2001-01-02 12:51 PM

It can take forever to root in a community.
Quite often, we have not the time or desire to plant and nurture our roots, but if we live life with the right attitude, we one day wake and find that the community has rooted to us

ellie LeJeune
Member Elite
since 2000-01-10
Posts 4156
King of Prussia, PA USA
8 posted 2001-01-02 05:40 PM

I've felt this too and it is an awfully lonely feeling.... Beautiful poem and I pray you see changes soon. Ellie

Belief is a truth held in the mind; faith is a fire in the heart.

Joseph Fort Newton

Swamp¤Faeryie
since 2000-12-04
Posts 393
fairyland....of course;)
9 posted 2001-01-02 08:59 PM

wow.....wow.......this poem really caught my fancy,wonderful wonderful. the last 2 lines are really a great shocking and pounding end,to me anyways. great poem

sammi

"All art is an expression of pain."~John Lennon

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

10 posted 2001-01-02 09:05 PM

Excellent writing, Brian! Don't forget you belong to the greatest community on earth...the community of poets at Passions!! You'll always fit in here!!

Denise

dgvarner
Member Elite
since 2000-05-13
Posts 3552
High Springs, Florida
11 posted 2001-01-04 11:34 PM

brian..this one aches of a need to belong somewhere...i hope you find a place to plant your feet..a place that feels like home for you..    

as always..your poetry leaves me in a state of..'wow'...    

hugs, g

"people who need people are the luckiest people..." barbra s.

DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States
12 posted 2001-01-05 01:02 PM

Brian,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I had to  mull this one over in my brain for a few days. I know all to well the feeling of not belonging, but that feeling is slowly starting to go away more with each passing day. Great work my friend. I miss you.

Dawn

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
13 posted 2001-01-05 02:39 PM

Maria, I am sorry that you can relate to this, hope that things improve soon, thanks for reading and replyying. take care.

pegasus, thanks for the reply.

Cerenity, thank you for your very kind words and understanding. It is in the past for me now but still I wonder what would happen if things had been different.

kcs, I agree, being yourself comes at a price, but it is always worth paying that price. Thank you.

kaile, your thoughts and reflections are always welcomed. Yes it does feel exactly like that. Thank you for your reply.

Maree, thanks.  

Quiet One, my time has pasted but I have lived without my community, I have my family and they are my community.  Thanks for your comments

Ellie, I guess I may always have this longing sense of isolation, but I am hapy in my own world. thanks for your reply.

sammi, hope it did not hit too hard.. hehehe
thanks for your very kind reply.

Denise, thank you, yes I feel right at home here with all my wonderful friends. Thank you.

dg, one day I will find a place to call home I am sure. Thank you

Dawn, it does get easier, as we start to build a space for ourselves. THank you for your very kind reply.  

It's in your eyes a fire that's wild and glorious
Unhibited, unfinished in everything I do Let the morning rise like our hearts desire" whipping boy

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
14 posted 2001-01-07 01:39 PM

I relate to this poem completely. A great read and a reminder that I'm surely not the only one feeling like this.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
15 posted 2001-01-11 04:37 PM

I feel compelled to bump this up to the top - your writing is always a full meal, very satisfying and with much to chew on.     Enjoyed the thought provocation.
Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
16 posted 2001-01-12 09:06 AM

Brian,
I think you have a captured a feeling that rings true for many of us.  The world has become so big and busy, it's difficult to even find the time to get to know our own neighbors!  
Like you, my roots are planted deep in my family and close circle of friends.  They are the community that I live in!

blackhalo
since 2000-02-15
Posts 467
Denver, CO
17 posted 2001-01-12 12:12 PM

Brian,
Simply wonderful expression.  You write so beautifully about something that I think all of us have gone through at one point or another.  (Mine was the 6th grade...)  The ending is truly wonderful.  I am spellbound within each space between the words.  Superb work.  WOW!  Great read!

"Hope is no stronger than the tremulous beads of dew strung on the filament of spiderweb, and it alone can't long support the terrible weight of an an

blackhalo
since 2000-02-15
Posts 467
Denver, CO
18 posted 2001-01-12 12:14 PM

Brian,
Simply wonderful expression.  You write so beautifully about something that I think all of us have gone through at one point or another.  (Mine was the 6th grade...)  The ending is truly wonderful.  I am spellbound within each space between the words.  Superb work.  WOW!  Great read!  Exocommunication, that was when the Pope took away your right to go to Heaven, right?

"Hope is no stronger than the tremulous beads of dew strung on the filament of spiderweb, and it alone can't long support the terrible weight of an an

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Excommunication

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary