navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Smile
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Smile Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
blackhalo
since 2000-02-15
Posts 467
Denver, CO

0 posted 2000-12-15 12:43 PM

Smile
Through your tears

Smile
To fight your fears

Smile
  When you need to cry

Smile
   When your soul dies

Smile
    Without air in your lungs

Smile
     When happy songs aren't sung

Smile
      And live to another day

Smile
       To hide yourself today

Smile
        You cannot show your tears

Smile
         And pretend you have no fears

Smile
          When your life is the cost

Smile
           When your soul is lost

Smile
            In hardships you've been

Smile
             To absolve your sin

Smile
              Because you cannot show

Smile
               Just before you go

Smile
                You're wanted dead or alive

Smile
                 You're taking a nosedive

But it's OK, as long as you remember to
                      Smile

© Copyright 2000 Alicia R - All Rights Reserved
blackhalo
since 2000-02-15
Posts 467
Denver, CO
1 posted 2000-12-15 12:48 PM

Sorry, but I have to explain the above...
I just get so frustrated when people tell me to smile.  For all they know, I may not have anything to smile about.  When your heart gets broken, smile.  When your dog dies, smile.  When you loose yourself, smile.  It's so irritating!  So, I wrote this to symbolize how wrong people can be in telling you to smile when you are unhappy.  Just to let all of you out there know, please, don't smile!  
Alicia A. Renzelman

bestgirl911
since 2000-10-04
Posts 551
Clio, MI , United We Stand
2 posted 2000-12-15 01:40 PM

Alicia...

I always have people telling me that I smile all the time, but I too believe that there are times that I just can't. Everyone deals with things differently and some people do it by smiling through the tears. Just try to remember that they have good intentions at heart.

Best

shira
since 2000-12-12
Posts 88
Hamburg, PA
3 posted 2000-12-16 05:31 AM

Bravo Alice.. I SO agree with the sentiment of this poem.. smiling does not make all the bad and the hurt go away, as people many times would like to see happen... Personally I have always felt that someone telling me to smile when I've been through a painful experience really has no fathom of what I am feeling. This was very good. I liked it a lot.
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
4 posted 2000-12-17 03:35 PM

we should enver try to hide behind a fake smile, to bottle up the pain for appearances sake, but that said, we should not wallow in pity, we should deal with and move on, enjoy life and not let things get us down.. by the way I am not an optimist..far from it, but it is something I learned along the way. enjoyed reading the poem.

"an afixiation a fix on anything the line of life the limb of a tree
the hands of he and the promise that s/he is blessed among women".
Patti Smith

wordancer
since 2000-07-30
Posts 809
VA
5 posted 2000-12-19 08:33 PM

alice, I well understand by what you mean, I to, got so tired of people telling me to smile when at certain points of my life it was all I could do was gather the energy to get out of bed to go to work....and they wanted me to smile about it.  No way!

For a while when people would tell me to smile, they got a teeth-baring   wide grimace...lol, they usually didn't do that again.

"Come...dance with me, into my world of words."

Broken_Winged_Angel
since 2000-04-06
Posts 994
Small Town, Somewhere
6 posted 2000-12-19 09:57 PM

I can't not smile... *ponders*  Even when it's the most horrible day and I want to commit rash acts of destruction, I have this sick smile on my face.  I applaud all of you who don't smile.  Keep it up!  Alicia, I really like this.  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Smile

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary