navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Creator, Part Two
The Corner Pub
Post A Reply Post New Topic Creator, Part Two Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gofor42
since 2000-01-23
Posts 143
Arkansas

0 posted 2000-10-30 09:45 AM

Okay, I now present the second half of my thought process on this issue.  I have come up with my personal answer, which may not gel with everyone else's opinion, but hey--that's what makes life interesting: different opinions.

Who created whom?  
Are we the product of God's mind,
Or is He the product of ours?
To presuem to know for sure
Is pure folly.
But to wander through existence
Claiming we are better than God
(For we would have to be,
Having created Him) is greater folly still.
How can we, creatures of finite
Flesh and blood, know infinite?
How can fallable, sinning mortals
Create perfection and absolute goodness?
Were the ideas of perfection and
Infinite not given to us by one who is,
We could not know them.
We could not know Him.
But we do know them,
Even if we don't always live up to them.
And for these reasons,
I know who created whom,
And that I'm just the clay ready to be shaped.

"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."
--Kingsley Amis

© Copyright 2000 Chuck Cottrell - All Rights Reserved
kcsgrandma
since 2000-09-24
Posts 1522
Presque Isle, ME
1 posted 2000-10-30 06:09 PM

Well, gofor42, your honest questions seem to have led you to a logical conclusion.  That philosophy class couldn't have been all bad.   It's my belief that God always does lead an honest seeker of truth to find Him, but as my brother once pointed out, we all see Him from different places.  He is so great, so infinite, that none of us can see all of Him.  Just because we see different aspects does not invalidate one view or another. I realize not everyone agrees with me, but then, I've had a philosophy class, too.  

To love another person is to see the face of God.
- Les Miserables

Marilyn

gofor42
since 2000-01-23
Posts 143
Arkansas
2 posted 2000-10-30 06:37 PM

I agree with your interpretation--none of us are infinite, and therefore we can't encompass within our minds the whole idea of God.  We can get little bits and pieces, but not the whole picture...and maybe we shouldn't be able to get the whole picture.  That would ruin the whole mystery of life.

--Kingsley Amis

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2000-10-30 07:45 PM

'Just the clay ready to be shaped'. Indeed we are. Well written!

Denise

gofor42
since 2000-01-23
Posts 143
Arkansas
4 posted 2000-10-30 08:19 PM

Thank you...may we be shaped in a way that is pleasing to God.

--Kingsley Amis

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
5 posted 2000-10-30 10:31 PM

gofor42,

I just wanted to say that I am glad you have come to the conclusion that God made us and not the other way around, for this is right.  I guess the reason so strong of a reaction came to your previous poem was many were concerned about which side of the question you would perhaps be pulled.  Because more than a matter of philosophical speculation to some, the idea that God is totally man-made is really believed and taught, and militantly PUSHED in many atheistic circles.  In fact you are taunted as ignorant if you choose to believe in a transcendent, independent and self defining God (such as is presented to us in the bible and in nature).  I just encourage you to hold tightly to these convictions even when clouds of doubt may come... because the truth is the truth ... is the truth.

One more thing I will add in agreement with you.  You are right that we can never know the infinity of God, because God is just that... infinite, there is no end to his depth and possession of resources.  In fact resources may be a poor choice of words since God is the infinite SOURCE and needs no RE-sources.  But  while it may require infinite beings to know God quantitatively, it does not require infinite beings to know him qualitatively.   That is to say that there are things of God we can know beyond any doubt, because he has revealed them.  And we don't have to be gods ourselves to be sure.  

"The Secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the revealed things belong to us and to our children forever, to observe all the words of this law."  Deuteronomy 29:29

We may not know everything there is to know about God, but we can know the mystery of salvation through the death and ressurection of Jesus Christ,  (and much much more as the ages will unfold to our eyes).

Thanks for your thoughtful expression.  Continue on the road of truth seeking, it is a good way to travel.  And I recommend the bible as a rich source of spiritual truth for any seeker.

your friend,  SDJ.

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (edited 10-30-2000).]

gofor42
since 2000-01-23
Posts 143
Arkansas
6 posted 2000-10-30 11:00 PM

Exactly--we cannot by ourselves know of the perfection and the infinity.  Without the intervention and the divine inspiration of God, we could not know Him at all.  But, thankfully, He was gracious enough to allow us to glimpse just a small piece of His glory.  And we are better for it.  

The road of faith is not so much a destination as an endless journey--we forever grow and learn more about ourselves, those around us, and He who created us.  May it always be so.

--Kingsley Amis

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » The Corner Pub » Creator, Part Two

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary