navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » We MAY be doing Sonnets again?
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic We MAY be doing Sonnets again? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA

0 posted 2003-05-06 08:25 AM

We just have to have our Sonnet fix occasionally, don't we? We had an interesting request for them this month (from kayjay), so let's see what we can come up with.

First, let's go over the format of the formal sonnet. Then we can go into the variations brought to us by kayjay.

This is again taken from a previous workshop...

"The Little Song" is the derivation of the word sonnet. I love writing sonnets in any format... They're by far my favorite. Sonnets originated in Italy, progressing further with the unsurpassed influence of the English - more specifically that of Shakespeare.

Although the mode of the twentieth century has been to deviate from standard formats, I remain pretty old-fashioned, I guess. I adamantly believe that you can't rightly break the rules unless you know what they are first...

Furthermore, breaking the rules effectively necessitates a thorough understanding of them. Ergo - I'm showing you the the rules. I also follow them myself, by the way. I don't consider myself proficient enough to break them yet. (perhaps some day).

All righty - Let's start with meter - the easy part.... A sonnet, properly written, is done in iambic pentameter. That means that every line will consist of five iambic feet. Each line of your poem will follow this rhythm....

da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM

Check out some of Balladeer's work - He's always got his meter intact... Elizabeth Santos too - She must dream in iambic pentameter...

Your theme is of ULTIMATE importance in a sonnet. You must present a conflict of sorts in your opening stanzas and a resolution in your closing ones. Think carefully of what you want to write about and how you want to develop your work before you begin writing.

The use of imagery is another important consideration. A sonnet is a very compact piece, and as such is a great format for extended metaphors. Try to incorporate some simile, metaphor, or other types of imagery into your work.

Now then - Let's get on to the format. Guess what - You've got a choice here. You can opt for any one of the following....

The original Italian/Petrarchan style sonnet comes first. This format consists of an octet (8 lines of verse) followed by a sestet (six lines). The conflict is presented in the octet and resolved in the sestet. This format allows you less conflict, but more "resolution" time, if you should need it.... Although some variation can be found in the final sested, the standard format is:

a-b-b-a-a-b-b-a/c-d-e-c-d-e

The most popular English/Shakespearean sonnet is next. In this format the conflict is presented within three quatrains (three stanzas of four lines each) of verse, and resolved in a final couplet (two lines). The Shakespearean format is...

a-b-a-b/c-d-c-d/e-f-e-f/g-g

The final, and less known format is Spenserian. This format is most similar to Shakespearean, as it incorporates three quatrains and a closing couplet. In any format, you'll need to develop your conflict in the quatrains and resolve it in the couplet. The Spenserian (you'll see some pantoum similarities too) format is...

a-b-a-b/b-c-b-c/c-d-c-d/e-e

My most recent meager morsel is a Petrarchan/Italian sonnet, A Willow'Sonnet - which will be included in our new Reflections anthology.
quote:

Meandering long country paths aside,
Lush fragrance hallows summer's sweet ascent.
Festoons of lilacs breathe of heaven's scent
Midst fingered breadth of weeping willows bide.
Unfettered fronds enchant a flowered tide
Like choirs of angels boughing in descent,
In harmonies with primrose breeze content
To stave travails duress has oft decried.

Securely held within maternal arms,
In tiers the willow only seems to weep.
Embraced as swaddling babe in rhythmic sway
Bouquets of lilac meld to willow's charms.
Once nestled in her heart's protective keep
Remembrances for fragrant winter's day.

Now - For kayjay's request - The deviations (I'm cringing)...

I'll copy his request here - and hope that he'll add some more insight??
quote:

Thank you, Nan, for your ever quick wit in your response.

As to my thoughts on a May challenge, I offer Beltane, as defined from http://www.merriam-webster.com - See below) (my daily first peek at a web site.. yes, even before pip). If acrostics are not used up by now, I would offer an acoustic sonnet, that is BBEELLTTAANNEE, which must be in meter and foot, the choice of both up to the author? Another option is a May sonnet without rhyme, but each couplet maintains assonance? Hope these at least give you a chuckle or headache...your choice.
Ken

The Word of the Day for May 1 is:

Beltane • \BEL-tayn\ • noun
: the Celtic May Day festival

Example sentence:
Aunt Kat vividly described the huge bonfires and colorful rituals she had witnessed at the Beltane festival in Edinburgh as a girl.

Did you know?
To the ancient Celts, May Day was a critical time when the boundaries between the human and supernatural worlds were removed and people needed to take special measures to protect themselves against enchantments. The Beltane fire festival originated in a spring ritual in which cattle were herded between two huge bonfires to protect them from evil and disease. Perhaps the earliest mention of Beltane (then spelled "belltaine") appears in an Old Irish dictionary commonly attributed to Cormac, a king and bishop who lived in Cashel, Ireland, toward the end of the first millennium. The "Beltane" spelling entered English in the 15th century by way of Scottish Gaelic.

Yikes... I'm not sure if I can do this, Ken... It MAY make me schizo..

Note - ASSONANCE = The repetition of identical or similar vowel sounds, especially in stressed syllables, with changes in the intervening consonants, as in the phrase tilting at windmills.

Have fun my poetic friends..

© Copyright 2003 Nancy Ness - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-05-06 08:58 AM

Yikes!

fayth
since 2003-05-03
Posts 19

2 posted 2003-05-06 04:37 PM

hello, I'm the one who doesn't know anything about poetry, cept rhyming, I've been around here since I registered-and before!!
You're all so great, I tried to start class from the begining but think maybe I should start now and maybe you will repeat the old lessons?please?

Thanks ever so for a great forum.
kansaa

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
3 posted 2003-05-06 04:38 PM

Ummmmmm, 'scuse me, Teacher ... I've been real sick and if I wasn't ... I think my doctor said I probably would be.

(He said not to show my little ASSONANCE in the classroom until I get all better !)
He did !!  Honest, he did !!
Ask Doc !  He did !  I promise !

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
4 posted 2003-05-07 02:45 AM

Uhm....I don't get it!!!!

I'll have to put this one under my pillow and hope it will sink in.  
Bridgette

"Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again.  To hold someone, not for a moment but forever." Unknown

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2003-05-07 08:51 AM

sigh. Iambic pentameter, huh?

Hmmm.

Okay. I will try this again.

I must be a masochist.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2003-05-07 08:52 AM

Serenity, if you're in, then I'll just have to join you on the masochism table right over there....

flay it on!

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
7 posted 2003-05-07 09:28 AM

Hi Teacher,

Is it all right if I come back to school? I might be able to try a sonnet. But I must warn you that I am pretty old-fashioned too It'll probably rhyme and have all those smelly feet thingies too.

Pete

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
8 posted 2003-05-07 10:03 AM

I'm in - tried the Shakespearean once - can do it again - thank you
JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
9 posted 2003-05-07 10:43 AM

I cannot believe that I am actually considering this!  A sonnet, with meter and rhyme? My god, I'll probably have an anuerism or something.

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2003-05-07 02:34 PM

I am so good at BEING da DUMB one somedays, perhaps it's time to write it out?
LOL, thanks for the info.
Interestingly (or not), I just said to a friend last week that I'd never ever attempted a sonnet, and when she said 'go for it' I thought she was just talking about lawn pests.
Now I want to put a sonnet under my bonnet.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
11 posted 2003-05-07 03:45 PM

ROTFL, I just read the other replies, and Marge???? you have me on the floor with yours.(assonance!)
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
12 posted 2003-05-07 04:14 PM

MidniteSun~
Now, now ... if you go getting on the floor with my assonance you'll have the WHOLE forum site talking !
AND ... we'll get kicked out of class too !

Teacher ... did ya' get the note from my Doctor ?

DOCTOR .... where are you ?
~*Marge*~

noles1@totcon.com

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

13 posted 2003-05-07 05:55 PM

Hi Nan....I mentioned that I want to join the party here hehe...so here I am... I love sonnets and I would love to learn how to write them. But as Karilea said... "Yikes!"

Is there a time limit to do this?

I'm asking becase it may take me a while lol.

Maree

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
14 posted 2003-05-07 06:19 PM

Hey Maree...Nan gives us a month for assignments, give or take a few days each side of each month...

so, yeah.  

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

15 posted 2003-05-07 07:02 PM

ahhhhh ok, hmmm not sure that's long enough....kidding...hehe...I think.

Thanks Karilea.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
16 posted 2003-05-07 07:42 PM

A sonnet I've learned to write, but beltane can't figure it out what that means.

Marge, get your assonance back in class!!!
No sneaking out this month.

Go write a sonnet in meter and rhyme
And don't dare skip class my lady this time

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
17 posted 2003-05-07 07:43 PM

Dear Teach,
Please excuse Marge, you see, what I actually said was that she should not  need "assistance". ( Darn these computer gizmos anyways, seems as though they're  always mis-interpreting things ). Any-hoot,
I look forward to another fun filled, creative month.
Doc

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

18 posted 2003-05-07 08:01 PM

grumble. I wrote one. The old fashioned way too--I used PAPER!!!

Good thing too. I hated it so much, I no longer have that attempt--but? I do have plenty of ammo for spitballs.

OH...heh, heh? Sorry, Doc, my aim is off...

(It's been awhile, folks...I'm much better at quarter bounce! )

Back to the drawing board.And?thpppfffffffttt!

NAN??? so sorry!

(serenity ducks and runs...)

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
19 posted 2003-05-14 08:10 PM

Old fashioned is good - using real paper is really good...

Margie is NOT excused... NOPE - We just got her back - We're not letting her slip out on us...

Yitzy
since 2003-05-12
Posts 30

20 posted 2003-05-15 10:41 AM

There are only nine syllables in your first line, nan. Is this excusable in Sonnets at times?
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
21 posted 2003-05-15 12:27 PM

Yitzy, count again.  I count 10.
kayjay
Member Elite
since 2002-06-24
Posts 2015
Oregon
22 posted 2003-05-15 07:25 PM

I'm late to school as a rule
and often I dont' get it
I got the word from a little bird
that MAYbe I'd better hit it!

An acrostic sonnet from off my bonnet
is what I've ordered up
I'd best comply, at least reply
Lest I get no sup.

Through rubble and trouble and dark of night
The yawn of a dawn will hasten the light

Marge Tindal
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
23 posted 2003-05-17 01:01 PM

Okay !  They way I see it ... there are ONLY 14 1/2 days left for this assignment.
Now IF I were going to do one ... it would take me AT LEAST 349 hours ... and there's ONLY 347 hours left .... sooooooooooooo, my doctor has suggested that I take an extended R&R !
AND with what he charges ... I think I'd do well to take his advice~

Any support to my plight ?????
Awwwwwwww, come on, Teach ... give a kid a break already !  You simply show no mercy !
Pretty pweeeeeeeeze ???

(I've got apple seeds drying on the windowsill) Hint, Hint !

Later kids ..... (muuuuuccchhh later)~
Ya'll have fun now, ya' heah ???

*Huglets* from the 'sick' bed~
~*Marge*~

noles1@totcon.com

aran
since 2003-05-18
Posts 34

24 posted 2003-05-18 03:25 PM

i've written a couple sonnets.

It's an interesting form, but it's time is passed

power to free-verse!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » We MAY be doing Sonnets again?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary