navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Cold Fusion
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cold Fusion Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA

0 posted 2003-01-15 07:45 PM

In burst of crystal clarity , cold fusion has begun.
A smattering of frozen fire is lit by mid-day sun.
It burns with an intensity few hearts will ever know.
The incandescent energy of light on fallen snow.

So bright it surely must eclipse the light which gave it birth.
The child within me marvels at these diamonds without worth.
Their gem-like facets full array the spectrum with their glow.
What price could one assay to these bright jewels among the snow?

A moments brilliance, fleeting, swift, before the clouds arrive,
soon has me wondering out-loud, and feeling more alive,
than had I claimed safe refuge, and, not witnessed this grand show,
achieving a cold fusion with the elements of snow.

© Copyright 2003 William E.Kleist - All Rights Reserved
jjote
since 2002-12-25
Posts 1088
Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2003-01-16 08:56 AM

Lovely, lovely imagery, Doc. The title (which I thought at first was going to be about some chemical experiment)is really a "brilliant" imagination of the blending of sunlight with snow crystals.

I think I won't believe Nan when she said you're really a moose - mooses won't know about such "priceless snow jewels".

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
2 posted 2003-01-17 02:33 PM

it started off as a bad pun (the title) but the poem itself was wonderful. i love the pace that your meter an rhyme create. It really invokes the brisk breathlessness of cool, mountain snowcovered lands.

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
3 posted 2003-01-19 08:17 PM

jjote,
Thank you, you're very kind. Class is a great place to expand ones' horizons.
Doc
majnu,
Thanks. There are some who believe fusion, as opposed to fission, is a much cleaner source of energy . I believe there were several "Tokamac" generation plants built in the late seventies where the by-product was much less harmful than what traditional fission
nuclear plants produced.As with many things
pertaining to cheaper, cleaner. energy sources, they, for want of a better word, "dissapeared". A diesel engine was tested by "Caterpiller" one of the largest and most well known names in American heavy industrial equipment. They ran the engine on a mixture of 50% water for over a year. The news hit the papers after the tests had been completed with nothing but positive results.
That, was the last I ever heard of it. But none of this has anything to do with my poem, or why I wrote it. I wrote it because there is a pure simplicity in seeing these things, all of them, for what they are, and that's that.
Doc

Bridget Shenachie
since 2002-01-23
Posts 1056
Kansas USA
4 posted 2003-01-27 10:34 PM

Stunning beautiful and sensitive poem, Doctor Moose!  I think that you just moved to the head of the class!

Shenachie

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2003-01-30 10:18 PM

I love this.. You've done a great job with your imagery, of course...

The poem itself is brilliant... I absolutely can't stand the cold - and this makes me want to go out and play in a snowstorm... YIKES...

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
6 posted 2003-02-01 08:04 PM

Bridget,
Thanks. The frozen fire burns for all who have seen it. Such moments are rare, and deserve better than what I can accord them.
Doc

Nan,
Thank you. Does this mean I'll see you on the play-ground? As for snow, we've had 98"
so far, and our winter is only half over, but, it sure looks real pretty when the light hits it just right.
Doc

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Cold Fusion

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary