navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » False Identity
Teen Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic False Identity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2000-05-24 04:46 PM

Darkness consumes my inner being
The light isn't worth seeing
No way out...no escape
Waiting for it all to end
Hop is fleeting, there's no point
No reason to live, don't want to die
So I'm caught somewhere in between
Suicide isn't the answer
Although sometimes it's all there is
Why can't just a little light shine here?
Everytime it enters, I cringe in fear
I can see out, so why can't they see in?
Maybe they can, and don't know where to begin
Or maybe all they see is the mask I wear
Smiling face painted brightly on for the
World to see
Why can't someone see past the smiling face?
To see the hurt and pain,
Desire to leave this place
See past my false identity
To see the real me.

~Susie

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow "Driftwood"

© Copyright 2000 Susan Acacio - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-05-25 01:22 AM

Susie, many of us wear a 'protective' mask..it's a way to be sure we aren't hurt. Sometimes, though we have to let it slip and be true to who we are. You've taken a good first step in this poem (assuming it's about you!). If not, then it's a great poem for others to read and learn from.  
Salooma
since 2000-01-28
Posts 781

2 posted 2000-05-25 04:41 PM

Nice post....but let there be always hope. Our mask is what makes us strong, but smetimes it's always nice to reveal who you are to a few people, but in truth I'm sure no one would want the whole world to know what makes them hurt. At times sorrow is something we must hide, for our sake. Ever need anyone to talk to....feel free to use my email or icq...

Salma

"Not all the answers lie within your realm or mine, they lie within the borders."

Matchstick McGee
since 2000-05-15
Posts 26
Austin, Texas
3 posted 2000-05-25 07:16 PM

I can relate to this poem very well. Sometimes someone comes along who sees the real you that you want to show but are afraid to, through the mask. Usually it doesn't happen. But, assuming this poem applies to you, you might be surprised at how many of your friends would want to see the real you, if they knew they saw a mask.

-Matchstick

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

4 posted 2000-05-25 10:13 PM

Everyone hides behind something. Some call it a mask, others call it acting out life. Whatever you call it, you are the only one that can stop the charade. Good poem.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2000-05-25 10:13 PM

Everyone hides behind something. Some call it a mask, others call it acting out life. Whatever you call it, you are the only one that can stop the charade. Good poem.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2000-05-26 10:32 PM

Miss deVine~
Thanks for reading  . But it's really not about me, and I'm thankful for that  .

Salooma~
Thanks so much, it really means a lot  . But like I said, it's not about me  . Thanks again.

Matchstick~
I'm glad you could relate to it. Well, no, I'm not glad you're going through that. Thanks for the read, so glad you enjoyed  .

Lovebug~
So true, for too long I used things to hide behind, no more. Thanks  

~Susie

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."

Snickers
since 2000-05-25
Posts 88
East Haddam, CT
7 posted 2000-05-27 11:07 AM

Susie,
That's such a beautiful poem.  It's weird because reading it was like reading my own emotions.  Your poem described exactly how I feel sometimes.  I wrote a poem similar to yours called "You Don't Know Me". Perhaps I will post it sometime.  Anyways, thank you for sharing your poem, I could so relate to it.  

Nikki

Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2000-05-27 01:07 PM

Snickers~
So glad you liked it  . You should post your poem, I'd love to read it  . Thanks again!

~Susie

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » False Identity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary