navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Should I tell?
Teen Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Should I tell? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wicced_Witch
since 2000-02-06
Posts 110
Clarksville, TN, USA

0 posted 2000-02-06 01:45 AM

Should I tell?
I need to know.
It eats at me everyday still,
But even then should I tell?
Should I just lock it inside?
   Can everyone even handle it?
I’m wondering, should I tell?
Keeping secrets can hurt,
   But if only I know this one
   What harm can it do?
Will people wish I didn’t tell them?
When it’s already to late,
When I can’t take back my words?
Will they feel the pain I live with?
Is this secret brought to me by fate?
For this I ask, should I tell?
Life will go on even if nobody knows.
Will it become too much for me to handle,
And will I explode?
That’s when I wonder should I tell?
I get the courage and say I will,
But then I get scared again,
And just keep it all inside.

© Copyright 2000 Stephanie Elliott - All Rights Reserved
April Resi
since 1999-10-18
Posts 119
Alabama
1 posted 2000-02-06 02:27 AM

I really liked this poem because I can relate to it so well.
I'm sorry you are having tough times right now, but PLEASE tell someone. Anyone. No matter what it is, find someone to tell. If you just keep it in you it will take over. It's not a fun feeling... please just find anyone... email me if you need me, ok??
April

...in your eyes, I see my future in an instant,
And there it goes, I think I found my best friend...

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
2 posted 2000-02-06 05:13 PM

wicced: *grins* excellent, excellent piece... this is something i'm certain we've all dealt with at some time or another and i think you lay it out very well in this poem... poem #2 and i'm already becoming a fan... keep up the good work  

sincerely,
jerome the boy with no brain

p.s. -- i must ask a few questions (it's my nature)... answer as many or as few as you feel comfortable answering... i just like to gain insight to the poetry i read... 1. is this a personal poem? 2. is this a current poem? 3. what was/is the secret that you were so reluctant to divulge?

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

Wicced_Witch
since 2000-02-06
Posts 110
Clarksville, TN, USA
3 posted 2000-02-07 12:02 PM

I dont mind talking about it NOW.  My friend finally dragged it out of me eight years after the incident, and got me to talk about it, so now it is easy.  To answer your questions, yes it is a very personal poem.  I wrote it after waking up from a nightmare that has haunted me for eight years, finally got my feelings into words.  As for your last question about what the secret is, I was molested by a close family friend when i was younger.
poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
4 posted 2000-02-07 12:43 PM

wicced: i'm sorry that something like that happened, and i'm further sorry that it haunted you for so very long... i hope that healing is taking place in your life... again, i commend you for a well-written and thought-provoking poem  

sincerely,
jerome the boy with no brain

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

kari
since 1999-10-03
Posts 104
Hyde Park, Ut, USA
5 posted 2000-02-07 01:01 AM

That is terrible what happened to you but I am glad you had the courage to let it out.  I think we all have secrets bundled up inside of us.  Some are meant to be told but I also believe that others are meant to keep inside and to grow from them - not in your case of course.  I feel your relief.  Well done.
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

6 posted 2000-02-08 01:57 AM

A wonderful, thought provoking poem. Don't cringe, but it reminded me of Madonna's "Live To Tell" for some reason. I said no cringing!   Thanks for sharing, and stay happy. Lord knows it's tough, but worth it.

Mike

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Should I tell?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary