navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Boy Bands
Teen Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Boy Bands Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Penelope
since 2000-01-26
Posts 31

0 posted 2000-01-30 06:53 PM

I guess this form is called a Satire, not sure if I did it right...  suggestions are welcome.  

Boy Bands

"I love you", you hear the girls screaming,
Naive, they do so, not knowing the scheming.
The 'boy band' on stage; object of affection-
Nothing more than an idea's reflection.
The plotters, backstage, throwing the cue-
The boys, tipping their hats and following through.
Millions of girls, all falling in 'love',
More with an image than the true boys above.
The boys smile, the love song finally starts.
The girls all swoon and declare 'taken' their hearts.
The plotters grin, their greedy teeth shown;
"What a nice set of boys, they are, that we own"
The show is now over, the 'pretty' boys bow.
Autographs start, towards backstage, the girls plow.
Some girls meet the boys- their happiness brews.
Next week, it's a new group, 'these boys' are old news.

My advice in life is; talk to yourself, you never know what you'll learn.

© Copyright 2000 Penelope - All Rights Reserved
poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
1 posted 2000-01-30 06:56 PM

penelope: *waa haa haa haa* i LOVE it!!! :> when i write stuff like this i get yelled at ^_^... i applaud you for boldly proclaiming what the rest of the thinking world already knew (not to impune the "music" of any "boy bands")... very good job...

sincerely,
jerome the anti-backstreet boy

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
2 posted 2000-01-30 07:04 PM

Excellent! as an avid Backstreet Boys and N'Sync basher, I thoroughly enjoyed this poem  

I am not a poet, I am merely one who speaks in emotion

Penelope
since 2000-01-26
Posts 31

3 posted 2000-01-30 07:14 PM

Jerome & Mistikman,

Thank you.  I hope that the poem doesn't insult anybody, though.  My intentions were more to practice writing poetry than to
state an 'anti-boy-band' sentiment.  

-Penny

My advice in life is; talk to yourself, you never know what you'll learn.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

4 posted 2000-01-30 08:25 PM

Nice poem! Although I enjoy the music of the Backstreet boys and other "boy bands" I agree with many of the things you write about. They are owned and very much controlled. Also, many of these girls fall in love with these images and the dreams they create about them. It CAN be love, and it hurts just as much, or maybe even more, when they fall back to earth. It's like Scarlett in "Gone With the Wind", she didn't really love Ashley, she loved the idea of him...

Ok, I'm just running my mouth now... good job and welcome to Passions!  

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world"

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2000-01-31 08:58 AM

Welcome to Passions! Job well done. I think you handled Satire quiet well young poet. I myself have not used this particular form of poetry but I enjoyed reading yours.   Check your e-mail for a special greeting.
Penelope
since 2000-01-26
Posts 31

6 posted 2000-01-31 07:36 PM

LoveBug:  Thank you, I actually have a confession to make.    I, myself, do listen to some of the 'Boy Band' music.  I find, though, that I have a little less respect for these bands because they are highly manufactured (the ideas which I portrayed in the poem).

Marilyn:  Thank you for the warm welcome, this is a really friendly place.    I normally, actually, don't share anything I write with anybody, except my one really close friend.  I guess I've always been a little timid about it, I seldom understand much of what I read in poetry... so I can only figure that my writing hasn't matured to a stage where it's at the level of those writings.  What attracted me to this place is that I noticed that some people actually made suggestions and used constructive criticism rather than the "you stink" approach towards other's works.  I'm hoping to maybe improve my own writing skills while enjoying good poetry written by others (I've really enjoyed what I've read on the forum).    

-Penny

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
7 posted 2000-01-31 10:33 PM

LOL, exellent work!  I understand exactly what you mean!  They are all too manufactured, aren't they?  Oh well.  This is great work, and I will be looking for more!  Welcome to Passions!  

*Krista Knutson*

One lives in the hope of becoming a memory.
~*Antonio Porchia*~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Boy Bands

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary