navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » Warcry
Open Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Warcry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap

0 posted 1999-10-26 11:11 PM

Unite, oh Children of our Sovereign Lord,
And rally 'neath the banner of his Sword --
Tho' violence in men He does deplore,
Necessity has summoned us to war!
The Infidels have seized our Holy Land,
And we must win it back, by His command --
Unite, ye Faithful -- charge into the fray:
His Victory will smile on us this day!

"The death toll rises in exchange of fire"
Unite, oh Children of our Sovereign Lord,
"Religious conflict builds to Holy War"
And rally 'neath the banner of his Sword --
"Civilians slaughtered in a ruthless raid"
Tho' violence in men He does deplore,
"'No end in sight,' UN officials say"
Necessity has summoned us to war!
"Reports of 'ethnic cleansing' have been made"
The Infidels have seized our Holy Land,
"Extremist rebels vowing to secede"
And we must win it back, by His command --
"Both sides have suffered massive casualties"
Unite, ye Faithful, charge into the fray --
"Men, women, children, fill communal graves"
His Victory will smile on us this day!

Baptized in blood, all sense of reason fled,
Your God bewails His Kingdom of the Dead.

------------------
You cannot choose the way of your death, but the path you choose will determine its own end.

[This message has been edited by Skyfyre (edited 10-26-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Linda Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

1 posted 1999-10-26 11:21 PM

Liked this much.You delivered the message very well.

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

2 posted 1999-10-26 11:34 PM

Sadly true. This is what 'religion' does to people, no matter what that 'religion's' creed. God, on the other hand, never has and never will condone this behavior. It is never to His glory when this happens. Excellent poem. You are very talented.

------------------
Denise

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
3 posted 1999-10-27 01:38 AM

Wow, was not at all what I expected coming into this one. Religion, indeed, serves religion. Religion won't save you in the end. Great poem here...love the integrated verse. Very well done.

------------------
Michael Anderson

Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?

tori
since 1999-06-18
Posts 520
Mechanicsville, Maryland, USA
4 posted 1999-10-27 02:11 AM

Wow... you have captured the entire picture here ..Excellent poem/story... this one lands a hard punch..
wonderfully writen Skyfyre

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

5 posted 1999-10-27 04:12 AM

LOLLOL

Brings a smile to my face this does.

------------------
Now and forever, my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 1999-10-27 04:17 AM

WoW!
Greeeeeat one here!
WoW!
(and LOL@DE's LOL!)

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
7 posted 1999-10-27 10:41 AM

Thank you all for reading and replying -- and a special thanks to Sir Balladeer, whose "..how was your day?" was responsible in part for inspiring this piece.

Dream, would you care to clarify what you found to smile about here? I hope it was a wry smile, not one of genuine amusement -- I hope I have not failed in the purpose I intended when writing this, which was indeed not to convey humour.

Again, thank you all.

--Kesslynne

poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
8 posted 1999-10-27 11:04 AM

Skyfyre, worry not about Dream's odd sense of humor, you'll soon learn he laughs at the oddest of times....

For him to laugh is indeed the greatest of compliments ! Stick around, you'll see.....LOL

------------------
~~ Lift your head high - spread your "words" and fly - - poetFemmeFatale

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
9 posted 1999-10-27 11:06 AM

Well done!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 1999-10-27 11:06 AM

Dear, you've done a wonderful piece here - quite moving and intense. I very much like to see one piece of poetry {'Deer's} create another {yours}.

Bravo.

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
11 posted 1999-10-27 12:54 PM

poetFemmeFatale: I am only now learning the multitude of depths that make up DreamEvil's personality, as I have read a number of his prose pieces as well as his poetry. A fascinating enigma, indeed, and given to unpredictability to say the very least. I was not offended, only puzzled and in search of enlightenment. I hold every reply, be it complimentary or critical, in the highest regard unless given reason to do otherwise (which has not yet occurred here, I am happy to report.) Thank you for yours.

Sunshine: They say that the greatest form of flattery is imitation -- while this might not exactly qualify as imitation, it does indeed convey similar sentiments to Balladeer's piece and as such I thought he was deserving of thanks for his part, however unintentional, in the making of this piece.

Michael: Religion is but another tool of man to gain dominance over others, either physically or emotionally (morally). It is so diametrically opposed to the true spirit of most faiths as to be deplorable for its heresy. It is indeed self-serving, and will save no one -- in fact, it is my belief that it has condemned many by offering a false salvation through ritual.

I do so enjoy such feedback -- again, thank you all for the time you've taken to give me your thoughts.

--Kess

PS: It will be interesting to see what Balladeer's take on this piece will be! (hint hint!)

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
12 posted 1999-10-27 05:00 PM

I loved the way you juxtaposed the propaganda with the reality, here ... it almsot seemed like a song playing in the background, while scenes of death and destruction flickered past ... I enjoyed the read.

Nocht

------------------
"Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morierus"
(Now as I hear this bell tolling softly for another, it says to me, "Thou must die.")

[This message has been edited by Nochtdraco (edited 10-27-1999).]

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
13 posted 1999-10-27 08:59 PM

There's not much left that I can say that hasn't already been said. I agree with everyone's comments and can only think to add 'UNREAL!'

------------------
How long after you are gone will ripples remain as evidence that you were cast into the pool?
~Isis~
(Daughter of Mystery)

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
14 posted 1999-10-28 03:19 PM

Well, it took me a little while to get to this piece but it was well worth the wait. The form and style of this poem is excellent, of course, but the content is extraordinary. The way both thoughts were woven together gives the words terrific impact. Obviously, from the poem and the observations noted in your comments, you are very intelligent and with a great deal of perception, a very welcome addition to our community. My only role in this creation would be that of a cork coming out of a bottle of vintage wine. The flavor, fragrance and deliciousness are all yours. I'm happy for any small part I played in letting it flow.
Starith
since 1999-08-18
Posts 176
Leesburg, FL USA
15 posted 1999-10-28 08:17 PM

Wow this was very captivating. I enjoyed this piece very much. Great job.

Star

------------------
We are only truly apperciated after we are no more!

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
16 posted 1999-10-28 08:32 PM

LOL -- I am indeed most indebted to you, Balladeer, for "pulling my cork"! (Sorry -- couldn't resist.)

Starith: I am glad you enjoyed this -- thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

--Kess

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » Warcry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary