navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » the dead beat
Open Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic the dead beat Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
starchild
since 1999-10-22
Posts 59
manchester, england

0 posted 1999-10-25 09:48 AM

the dead beat
the heavy heat
the far cry from the old streets
the old way
the golden days
the facist way
the dead rage
the family

brutality
the elite
the american dream
the cold sweat
the heart attack
the broken back
the overworked
the underpaid
the too young
to get laid
the the teenage birth
the hush hush
the bright white snow
that turns to mush
the people dying
on the street
the blind eye
the dead beat

© Copyright 1999 starchild - All Rights Reserved
desperado
since 1999-05-24
Posts 312
FT Hood,Tx
1 posted 1999-10-28 08:19 PM

this is nice. it's has good rhythm, good rhyme, yet it doesn't really stand out. doesn't grab your audience. it's title, while good, doesn't stand out. the same could be said of the rest of the poem. when I read the title, I instantly thought, "young, angry, immature, horendous". as a writer you have to try to make the reader think in good terms and not negative ones. it's just the way of the game.
handbagsatfiftypaces
since 1999-11-02
Posts 12

2 posted 1999-11-02 07:18 AM

Desperado you make me so angry.
That is not the way of the game. Fair enough if you thought the poem was bad, but to say I HAVE to make the audience think in positive terms is the biggest pile of @#? * I have ever heard. Poetry is about, if anything, freeing yourself from all codes and rules and restrictions and conventions, you don't have to do anything. Unless of course you want to write plastic poetry, poetry by numbers where you give it good rhyme and meter and structure and punctuation and enough metaphors and similes and clever little references to other things so that pompous scholars all across the land can revel in how marvellous it is when at the end, when everything is said and done and everyone has patted you on the back for writing the way they decided was good, you are left with a heap of **** that means nothing.
Well that's my two cents

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » the dead beat

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary