navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Pink Ribbons....from Suthern
Open Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pink Ribbons....from Suthern Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom

0 posted 1999-08-27 05:17 PM

PINK RIBBONS

I'm not the same woman I was last year.
Pieces of the me I was are no longer here.
But that's OK, for this way
I discovered depths of courage I never knew I had.
The dreaded diagnosis changed my life completely,
But I've learned to appreciate just how very sweetly
Breath is drawn at each new dawn.
I've learned to cherish the joy, banish the sad,
And experience the wonder of simply being alive.
Don't talk to me of odds, for I know I'll survive!
I'll wear my smile and share my style.
I've not been diminished as a woman at all!
I'm victor, not victim, no matter what you think,
For I've stood up and stared down Death
And made him blink
And learned my way a bit each day.
I'm a woman with pink ribbons, standing tall.

Suthern: I'm certainly the victor, all of me!

Love you, HUSG

------------------
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 08-27-99).]

© Copyright 1999 Cindy Jones - All Rights Reserved
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
1 posted 1999-08-27 05:24 PM

It is incredibly disconcerting to see my words where I hadn't expected them to be. But I'm so very glad you're okay, dear friend. Big (gentle) hugs... and a whole heart full of love!
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
2 posted 1999-08-27 05:30 PM

That poem stayed with me and I said it over and over and over again, along with wondering to myself, "heck, I've always had style, does this mean I get more?"...*g*..

Thanks again my friend, sometimes we draw our strength and courage from our friends..I'm thankful you have so much to share!

HUSG

------------------
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
3 posted 1999-08-27 06:39 PM

Queen

You've always been a pink ribbons girl to me, M'Lady.

Craig
since 1999-06-10
Posts 444

4 posted 1999-08-27 06:51 PM

I'm glad your back and are OK, I missed talking to you.

HUGS

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
5 posted 1999-08-27 07:06 PM

LJA

The strength and conviction of me, is there, just sometimes I forget it...

Bless you....HUSG

Craig

Thanks sweetheart...

HUSG

------------------

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 1999-08-27 07:13 PM

stared down Death and made him blink...wonderful words, Rainbow girl. You have my total admiration.
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
7 posted 1999-08-27 07:29 PM

Balladeer

They're not my words, that's Suthern's poem but she sent it to me, knowing I was in surgery on Tuesday and wanting to give me strength, husg and love....

Let's get this out in the open, for tonight I have courage...all men see or talk about women with TWO breasts, some can't even consider the possibility of loving a woman with only one...what Suthern tried and succeeded in telling me, was that loss of body or scars are only road maps to the heart of love and one should wear them, carry them with confidence! And that I do!

But, Suthern had the courage to write those words, I have the courage through her, to live them!

HUSG

------------------

caroline
since 1999-08-16
Posts 1218
http://members.xoom.com/belladona123/index.htm
8 posted 1999-08-27 07:50 PM

You ARE a Rainbow! (Suthern...applause, of the endless type, for those heartfelt words.)

Shine on Rainbow Girl! Style comes from the inside, ya know...and I see you've got it!
I've got my own designer scars...paths to life, reminders of overcoming things worse than scars could ever be. My best wishes to you!

------------------
The only man worth your tears will never make you cry...

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
9 posted 1999-08-27 08:05 PM

Caroline

Thank you!..Each new day brings forth new dimensions, but one thing is clear, to me at least,..I am special!..No different to you, but special in the way that I am me!..How long will that last?..I don't know, but that's my heart talking ...Hopefully, one day, I'll cease to be a body and be me, the woman of sunshine that sends off hues of variable light, warmth and colour, mixed with love, ability to feel and recognise it's worth and splendour...:-))

Love is feeling, expression and being as one with your emotions and enjoying everything that life has to give, moment for moment...life is simply the passage of time!

HUSG

------------------

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
10 posted 1999-08-28 04:36 PM

Wow! This is heartfelt. I liked also how it was worded...stared down at death at made him blink. Sounds like she is a good friend to you! Those are rare jems! God Bless you, you have a wonderful attitude! May your colors in your rainbow shine on!!!!
Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
11 posted 1999-08-28 04:41 PM

So glad you are both all right...and many thanks for sharing the poem!

Love,

------------------
*Elizabeth*

"Dwelt a maid belov'd and cherish'd by high and low,
But with autumn leaf she perish'd, long time ago..."

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
12 posted 1999-08-28 05:16 PM

WhtDove & Elizabeth

HUGS

------------------

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
13 posted 1999-08-28 07:36 PM

It gladdens me to read all the support for RG... she's so very deserving. I must personally add many thanks to caroline, WhtDove, Elizabeth and Balladeer for praising the poem... your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I'd planned on posting this at another time and did not know RG was going to post it until I saw it... I still have mixed feelings about the surprise element *S*... but I do love her and have been entirely too worried about her to hasten her demise. *G*

And I've realized that my posting schedule was somewhat arbitrary... help offered long after the need is gone is no help at all. *S*

One of the most gratifying experiences I've ever had was to have this poem read at the Race for the Cure ceremonies in Houston... and to have complete strangers in the pink "survivor" visors come up to me and hug me and tell me "Pink Ribbons" had made a difference to them... I guess no poet can really ask for more. *S*

But to help a friend means even more. I'm so very glad RG found comfort in my words.... and wish her a quick recovery and long, happy, healthy life.

[This message has been edited by suthern (edited 08-29-99).]

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
14 posted 1999-08-28 08:17 PM

Suthern

Sorry, I should have asked first but it's such a great tribute to courage and makes me feel I can be equally as female as any other lady...that to me, is a love unknown and one I'll remember throughout my lifetime!

You will always be able to post this poem anytime...words of support, compassion, love and sense of style are priceless...believe me, for you have given style: back its name, and I mean style with love, hope, care and friendship...

I'll be your publisher and wear my pink ribbon with pride... ALWAYS!!!

HUSG...love you!

------------------

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 08-28-99).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Pink Ribbons....from Suthern

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary