navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Disappointed
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic Disappointed Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
KentAshbyKorb
since 2013-05-05
Posts 99
Nc USA

0 posted 2013-05-05 07:20 PM

I have to say that... I find the limitations of this forum quite disappointing. It is over censored, underdeveloped, and highly outdated. Some individuals may be inclined to respond to me by saying I should Jog On! Since Editred closed, several years ago, I have been hard pressed to discover a poets forum that exemplified what I believe is an adequate social network for writers. With all of this said, Piptalk has been around for over four years, is one of the few sites I could find, and offers very little to stimulate a writers return. Maybe a major overhaul is in order. Maybe my expectations are not fair. I love to read and write poetry. I love to encourage other writers. I love being able to meet new people who share an equal passion for the English language. I don't believe Piptalk, as it currently stands, does justice in providing this. I apologize if I have offended anyone by speaking my mind. I am surprised I can even post this, having a cap on the number of daily uploads. ???
© Copyright 2013 KentAshbyKorb - All Rights Reserved
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
1 posted 2013-05-06 02:19 AM

It seems the site has been almost completely abandoned.   I rarely see Ron or the moderators posting anything.   It would be a shame if they have given up and left the site to itself to die.

Forums are still fairly popular for more artistic and topic-oriented communication. But sometimes they need to make some changes to keep up with what people come to expect of a forum or community as well as some new features and styles that come about, if they don't want to be left behind and seem out dated.  The site is worth some changes, but I am not sure any will ever be happening here anymore.  

[This message has been edited by Essorant (05-06-2013 02:59 AM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
2 posted 2013-05-06 10:40 AM

Essorant, I'm here every single day. Several times every single day, in fact. I would never abandon the forums, not so long as my name sits as an endorsement of the content. When and if I can no longer find the time to insure we remain a family friendly site I'll shut it down before I abandon it.

As to the original question, KentAshbyKorb, I can certainly understand your feelings. I felt much the same fourteen years ago (not four) when I and a handful of close friends first opened the doors to pipTalk because all the other sites we visited were inundated with sensationalistic, I-can-be-more-shocking-than-you garbage.

Failing to find what we needed, we created what we needed. You might want to consider doing the same.

KentAshbyKorb
since 2013-05-05
Posts 99
Nc USA
3 posted 2013-05-06 03:31 PM

I should say! My previous remarks were somewhat overly critical! I may yet find myself pleasantly surprised with this forum! "Family friendly" being a core principle, clarifies to me some of the limitations that this site may have. Definitely some very excellent literature to read here! It is not everything I want it to be In a site, but then, I am not everything people want me to be in a man!
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2014-02-20 10:34 PM

Ron, I am not a poet and yet I have been here  for at least 13 years. (I had lost my
password and missed some time in between) But I feel I have made many good friends here and everyone has been helpful when asked for help in any way.You have a site for almost any type of writing.I see no real complaint and want to say a big Thank You for this site. Jo Perry

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2014-02-20 10:59 PM

Thank you, Jo. I really appreciate that.
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2014-02-21 12:37 PM

I'm here also, Ess. I'm not sure what you think the moderators should post. Actually, since the discussion forums were basically neutered, there are very few things posted here to violate guidelines or warrant comments from the moderators.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2014-02-21 08:12 AM

I'm  here each and every day as well, beginning and ending my internet time with my poetic family.  

Fifteen years have certainly brought us some substantial changes, yet we remain a core of Ron's personal efforts with backup from our supportive team.  The evolution of the internet has certainly affected widespread growth of literary sites, but I personally enjoy our being "uncomplicated."

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
8 posted 2014-02-21 02:09 PM

quote:
since the discussion forums were basically neutered

I disagree Mike..

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2014-02-23 12:55 PM

LOL! Miss you, grinch

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
10 posted 2014-03-01 09:08 AM

Good to hear from you Grinch.

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
11 posted 2014-03-06 11:07 AM

As a writer who has felt the constrictions of this site's rules of propriety, from time to time, I must say that I have grown to understand them.  

In almost all cases, ALMOST, those rules have pushed me to present my ideas more clearly, to a broader audience; I find the effort induces positive growth.  Always there are moments, thoughts that simply can not be shaped to fit here, when I have chosen in the end to not post a poem.  

I have grown to understand that this is not my loss; it just means that I do not fit here at 100%.  Still, it remains, in sum, the best poetry forum for my needs.  

I am always grateful for being able to post here, when I fit, and always I am thankful for Ron's amazing generosity in maintaining this site.

Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
12 posted 2014-04-14 09:31 PM

This has always been home to me...has always been a haven. I post what I write and there has only been one time when a poem was pulled until it was determined that the content was seemly. I appreciate the "rules" and even though I am not here near as often as I used to be, I always know Im welcomed back with open hearts and arms. I don't always like the poetry that's posted, but hey, Im very sure not everyone likes mine. That's what makes this a great and interesting site. Theres something for everyone.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

13 posted 2016-06-29 12:27 PM

Hi There, I have not been back here for years, except to briefly read....today was the first day, I actually posted a poem in years...however, I've been a member of other forums and poetry pages...to me and for me, this one was the best...where I've even met and made some wonderful friends along the way.  Ron keeps these pages clean and free of the ugliness that can sometimes possess human being when they write Anonymously.  So, thank you to all of you, for making these blue pages possible, especially Ron!
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

14 posted 2016-06-29 12:29 PM

Over the years, I've been a member of many other poetry pages and forums...and let me just say, Ron keeps these blue pages clean and respectable...this IS a family, one in which leaves many cherished memories...from so many wonderful people and poets, and we have Ron to thank for that.  
Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
15 posted 2017-01-21 04:06 PM

As a kid, I left home to go out in the world to raise hell. When I wanted peace, I went back home again. I still flux this way over six decades later. Pip's been that way for me too. I like the relative peace here. When I want to raise hell, I know where to go.

Regards to the staffers who keep it 'quiet' in here so I can think.  

BTS

...just bein' Bluesy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Disappointed

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary