navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » A Critical Side at Passions (Again)
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Critical Side at Passions (Again) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2013-01-23 03:05 PM

I was wondering if Piptalk could consider encouraging more critique/critical commentary in the Open Forum somehow,  or if no one would wish to see any changes to Open, perhaps reviving a forum specially for Critique (Critical Analysis #3) again?    It doesn't seem like it could hurt anything.   There is less activity at the site these days.  It would be bound to be a lot calmer than in earlier days.  

Encouraging a critical side, or else having a special critical forum, could also help the site stand out more from social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter that rarely have that kind of activity and this may give an important dimension (back) to the site, more room for honest opinions and suggestions of improvement, or just discussions about the elements and interpretations of the poem, instead of an atomosphere being or feeling so pressured and limited to give only praise to people's works.  A notice could be sent to the members about it, which may inspire some members to come back and share some poetry and comments again.  

Would anyone else support this idea?

© Copyright 2013 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
1 posted 2014-01-21 05:20 AM

As I was cruising around the site, I came across your post from awhile back. I like to dig looking for poetry and other writings that haven't yet been replied to and then, well...reply!

So, my take on your post is that I'm not sure anyone here is qualified to critique poetry in a way that would be beneficial or educational for you. There are some here at PIP that have a great many years experience writing poetry and prose that provide valuable feedback and encouragement, but that may not be as intense of a workout as you're looking for.

It's pleasant here and ripples don't even make it across the pond.

There are sites that provide hardball critiques, but my thinking is that it would be rude to mention them here. I know you could find them through almost any engine you choose.

Good luck with it all if you're still alive to read this.

Regards from Bluesy

...just bein' Bluesy

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2014-01-21 11:02 PM

We do indeed have a multitude of PiP members who are highly qualified to critique all aspects of poetry.  

This site does have a philosophy in place that can be found in the site guidelines.  We can choose to accept critique or not, and we can indicate our choice on our membership accounts.

We also have a rule (that would be a step beyond guidelines), whereby we are expected to confine our critique to the poetic work.  We do not accept personal attacks on the author of the post.  

Constructive critique is encouraged, and the majority of our members will welcome your input.

Nan's Morsels Writers' Blog

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » A Critical Side at Passions (Again)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary