navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Haiku Forum
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic Haiku Forum Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California

0 posted 2007-05-25 05:15 PM

may we have a forum only for Haiku?

© Copyright 2007 Drauntz - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2007-05-25 11:39 PM

Segregation

In open garden
I found a sprig of basil.
Don't hide the haiku.

The basil should keep my impromptu haiku sufficiently seasonal?  

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
2 posted 2007-05-26 12:45 PM

Haiku on the floor
The Rest are lush canopy
layered poem forest

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2007-05-26 07:33 AM

Open loves Haiku
They complement each other
Haiku loves Open

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
4 posted 2007-05-26 07:37 AM

Uh-Oh

haiku detritus

cluttering the paths of thought

perhaps cause to see

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
5 posted 2007-05-26 09:32 AM

Bao~
When I first joine PiP, I was introduced to Haiku and other forms of poetry by having them in the OPEN FORUMS ... to chance upon them was a delightful experience~
Not being familiar with Haiku or other specific forms of poetry, I may not have entered a forum set aside for just those forms~

By being in the OPEN FORUMS, they are accessible to anyone who chances to click upon a title and find the beauty of Haiku and other forms of poetry~

Nice of you to inquire though ... through sharing ideas we often hit upon one that will better serve us all ...~

Love you~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -             noles1@totcon.com

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2007-05-26 07:00 PM

Another thought if you wish, is to join the ranks in the Poetry Workshop where we've had several lessons in Haiku and various forms of that particular art.

To teach is to learn
Wee birds are pushed from the nest
They fly on their own

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
7 posted 2007-05-28 12:58 PM

What would be the difference of a Haiku Forum in relation to Open than a forum such as Holiday Cheer?  People would still be able to post Haiku in Open beside having a forum especially for Haiku. Passions caters to age groups ("Teen" "Mature"), and content-genres, and even "tech", but it won't have any forums dedicated to a specific form or group of related forms of poetry?

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
8 posted 2007-05-28 01:11 AM

Don't hide the haiku.
Methinks it is more likely to be hidden, even smothered, under the heavy load of posts in Open, than in a forum of its own!

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
9 posted 2007-05-28 01:25 PM

Essorant, hugs to you. Thank you for the support.
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
10 posted 2007-05-28 05:54 PM

You are welcome.  I think it deserves support.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2007-05-28 10:01 PM

While it might deserve support, and I applaud all of you that appreciate this type of style, it opens the door to every type of style of poetry to have its own forum.

Keeping in mind that this is a "free" website, and we are only allowed access by the graciousness of our host, one must keep in mind that for everything added, implies more cost to the host webmaster, including his time.

For now, I would encourage those of you who appreciate the finer subtleties of form, such as Haiku and its relatives, go ahead and share the form within Open [or the forum of your choice].  Have any of you ever looked up Chokas in our archives?  You would be surprised who jumped on board.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
12 posted 2007-05-28 10:15 PM

it opens the door to every type of style of poetry to have its own forum.

But I would raise the same question as earlier: what is the difference in relation, from a content-genre forum such as Holiday Cheer or Dark, etc.  There are many other genres, but choosing to cater to the ones that you do doesn't corner you into opening the door to every other genre, for example, a forum dedicated to poetry about Nature, Humour, Romance, etc.  

In this way, neither would a Haiku forum, or any other forum dedicated to a form, or a group of related forms, tie you into opening a forum dedicated to every other form as well.  I think it would be a great addition to have some poetry forums actually dedicated to forms of poetry instead of always genres and agegroups.

But I respect the point that Passions may not have the means or the moderators to undertake such a forum.  That is understandable.  

I am just supporting the idea as a good one,  not saying that it can be done.  Whether it can be done or not, or is supported by others, is up for others to say                

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
13 posted 2007-05-28 10:53 PM

Each of the forums exists for a specific reason, Essorant, and I think most of those reasons have been detailed in other threads. For example, the Holiday forum harkens back to a time when the more senior Members could directly submit poetry to the main site right from within the forums, and indeed, many did. I wanted to encourage more holiday poetry on the main site, so I opened the Holiday forum and programmed it so that anyone (not just senior Members) could submit. While that reason is no longer valid, the poetry posted there when I needed it guarantees the forum's continued existence.

Many of the other forums exist not as a reservoir for a particular genre, but rather as a relief valve for Open Poetry. For example, we don't have a Dark forum so those interested in it can more easily find it. We have a Dark forum so that those NOT interested in it can more easily avoid it. If we had a really big run on haiku and a lot of people complained about it, it's quite possible I'd segregate it, too. I don't expect that to happen, though.

Generally speaking, and in spite of a lot of necessary exceptions, I don't believe in segregation, not of races, not of gender, and certainly not of poetry. We learn best, I think, through wide exposure.

Or, as my mother used to tell me, "How do you know you don't like it if you won't taste it?"

P.U Stinkenbaum
Posts 388
No Fan Of Exhaust Fans
14 posted 2017-04-24 05:00 PM

Organization is an option for some and an obsession for others.

There are plenty of places to go other than here at pip if you're into haiku or senyru (those two in particular) as I am. The late
Margherita posted many haiku here at pip, both in 'Open' and the 'Corner Pub'. But she was also better known for those styles at other sites where the forums were organized to suit all the various forms.

So, the point is, go where you wish to perform and author the styles that appeal to you.  

Pass the Glade if you're going to do that here...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Haiku Forum

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary