navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » posting poetry written by someone else
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic posting poetry written by someone else Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2003-03-23 11:11 AM

/pip/Forum64/HTML/002313.html
this is a beautiful translation from an ancient Chinese poet, and as far as I can tell it reads close to the author's intent...long ago deceased.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and saved it to my hard drive. And this brings up another issue.
In addition to what Karen just posted about Pips deceased authors works being replied to recently,
is there a way to honor famous/little known poets in a separate forum? There are many fine writers out there who never had the chance to come into public view, who are unable to post here. Perhaps with a limit of one per month by each of the membership so that we don't overload poor Athena?
I understand a bit about copyright issues, but as long as the member gives proper and complete credit, is such a forum possible in the future?

Thanks, Ron. Just a thought, your reply can easily wait until the Reflections book is under control.

© Copyright 2003 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2003-03-23 11:55 AM

Probably not, Kacy.

If a poet is alive or only recently deceased (say, in the last 100 years), their words still belong to them. You can treasure them, but you can't use them without the poet's (or the estate's) express permission. To do so would certainly be copyright infringement and, in my opinion, disrespectful. I, for one, would like to decide where my words are posted because, due credit or not, there are many places on the Internet I would feel were a poor venue. If I want that right for myself, I have to be willing to give it to ALL writers.

The only way we could do what you suggest would be to stick exclusively to poetry that has passed into the public domain. Unfortunately, following that isn't always easy and would make any forum geared towards public domain poetry an administrative nightmare. A year or so ago, I removed several wonderful poems by John Donne from the Classical Poetry section of the main site because one of his descendents still owns the rights to them. The kicker is that Donne died in 1631.

Determining what is and isn't in the public domain could easily be a full-time job for someone. But, uh, it won't be me.  

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2003-03-23 12:39 PM

Thank you so much for that detailed reply, Ron. It won't be me either.

I had no idea you couldn't re-post John Donne! How do people get around the Bible quotes? must be they are considered "Public domain" even though there must be living heirs out there somewhere.
What a nightmare we have created for ourselves with our desire to protect our written words. But it's a good point, that there are many sites on the internet and in published books where I wouldn't want to see my poetry.
But perhaps if we were all equally concerned about our spoken words and deeds? SHH, that's a whole other forum, anyway.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2003-03-23 01:16 PM

quote:
How do people get around the Bible quotes?

The Bible, of course, is in the public domain (though, interestingly, there are some translations which are not). Beyond that, however, "quoting" a copyrighted piece is different than using it in it's entirely.

The Copyright Laws include something called the Fair Use Doctrine, which basically says that we can quote a small portion of a larger work. The original intention was to allow reviewers to use portions of the copyrighted material, though teachers and students have probably received the most benefit. The problem with Fair Use Doctrine is that the term "small portion" is a little hard to define. The courts generally look at percentages. A paragraph out of a 300 page novel is a small percentage. A stanza from a two-stanza poem is a much bigger percentage. When you're on either end of the spectrum, it's not that tough, but as you move towards the center it obviously becomes much harder to decide.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2003-03-23 02:29 PM

You and the moderators must have to do a considerable amount of dancing then! I don't envy those dance moves.
Thank you so much, for all the time, expertise and energy you give the membership of Pips. We are all deeply indebted to you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » posting poetry written by someone else

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary