navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » about today's topics and popup windows
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic about today's topics and popup windows Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg

0 posted 2002-11-27 05:07 PM

recently today's topics has been changed so that the threads open up in new windows instead of just the same one... I think you did this because someone wanted the balladeer button to work for today's topics, but it didn't?  (even though that button is kinda pointless, there's always a link on the page back to that forum... I use the one above and to the right of the poem, "sanctuary - poetic haven - (topic)," where "poetic haven" is a link back to poetic haven, for example... but I digress...)

anyways... I've noticed that topics from some of the forums pop up in their own windows, like Open and Teen... and yet, other forums, like Deputy Mod Squad and, as I recently learned, Adult, don't pop up in a new window - they remain in the same one.

Well it gets pretty confusing and frustrating having to remember whether I hit "back" or "close" on my browser when I'm done reading something.  I either end up closing my only window, or flooding my taskbar with multiple windows... which gets kind of annoying.

My suggestion is that maybe all of the forums should just do either one or the other.  Is there some reason it's like this?  Enlighten me if there is.

Parasite

© Copyright 2002 Brian James Lee - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2002-11-27 05:12 PM

quote:
recently today's topics has been changed so that the threads open up in new windows instead of just the same one...
nope... always been that way.

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2002-11-27 05:16 PM

really?  I remember a thread that made him change it that way, I think... let me see if I can find it?  or maybe I'm confused
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
3 posted 2002-11-27 05:25 PM

/pip/Forum17/HTML/000093.html#3

I win, Chris

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2002-11-27 06:54 PM

DM, SM and Adult are password protected forums therefore when accessing them from Today's Topics, they don't open another page.
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
5 posted 2002-11-27 06:57 PM

I'll be darned. You are right. (You win! lol)

Well then, maybe I can try to be right on something else: The reason it would open a new window for the some forums and not others is because the ones it doesn't are the private, password protected forums. I've assumed that this has to do with security, though I can't be sure. It's something that i've just grown used to and don't really think about... if I'm in a private forum, I know I need to either hit the back button or Today's Topics again, rather than close it out.

I do agree though that all should be the same... of course that will probably mess me up too, rofl. However, Ron is a great enabler to my laziness and I'm sure something will change with the next update. *grin*

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
6 posted 2002-11-27 06:58 PM

yeah - what Sharon said.
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
7 posted 2002-11-27 06:59 PM

although - another rambling thought - it wasn't recent... in Internet Years, the time between now and September 2001 is like decades in RL.
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
8 posted 2002-11-27 11:02 PM

OKAY... all evening Today's Topics has been, for me at least, going back and forth between all-popups and no-popups... I first noticed that Open topics would open in the same window, then that they wouldn't anymore... then that they would again, and now that they won't anymore...

Are you having fun with me or something, Ron?  

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
9 posted 2002-11-27 11:07 PM

ah - that's something i discovered as well...

today's topic uses a named window. if you close the initial window, then go to today's topic from one of the open windows... clicking on a link will then be telling it to use THAT window to open

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
10 posted 2002-11-27 11:14 PM

ahhh I see, Chris... well that's good to know, at least now the most I'll ever have is two windows open.  I don't mind having a decoy window if it means navigating is easier.

Thanks.  

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
11 posted 2002-12-11 02:09 PM

Well I have solved at least part of my confusion now, as I keep getting lost period in a multitude of bars on the bottom and then closing the wrong ones.  I shall be more careful.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » about today's topics and popup windows

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary