navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #2 » My New Name
Open Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic My New Name Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lucie
since 1999-06-20
Posts 1077
Houston

0 posted 1999-09-08 11:15 AM

~~~This is not about me.. I repeat.. not about me.. it is just a poem.. This poet is happily married!!! And wants to stay that way!!!~~~

You have called me many names
lover, wife and friend.
Only one name that you used
for me ever did offend.

When I walked down that isle
to start two lives as one.
I never thought there’d be a day
the ties would be undone.

Yet sitting in this courtroom
as the lawyers fight their case.
I search my soul for answers,
what brought us to this place?

The only thing that comes to mind
are the happy times we had.
Even the times we struggled
weren’t really all that bad.

It seems you want to give up
and let this marriage end.
You have called me many names
lover, wife and friend.

The papers have been signed now
the conditions too complex.
I’m not Mrs. to you anymore
you address me now as EX.

© Copyright 1999 Lucille Dobbins - All Rights Reserved
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
1 posted 1999-09-08 11:37 AM

Great poem... but glad it's not about you, Lucie... *S*
poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
2 posted 1999-09-08 11:41 AM

This was not what I expected when I saw the title! You sure captured the thought well! I am so afraid of marriage....simply because I don't believe in divorce, and EX's and such!! Terrifies me !! I don't want to be just another divorce statistic!! It's hard to find a man who takes vows as seriously as I do, and I won't walk that aisle until I do !!

------------------
I beckon you to come...I lure you with my tongue... - poet FemmeFatale

Lucie
since 1999-06-20
Posts 1077
Houston
3 posted 1999-09-08 11:48 AM

This may seem unrealistic.. but I married once.. thats it.. thats all. If it doesn't work.. thats the end of matrimony for me. And I will never sign a divorce paper!!

[This message has been edited by Lucie (edited 09-08-99).]

Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
4 posted 1999-09-08 12:01 PM

Lucie, this is a very well written piece about a subject that is unfotunately so true to alot of people in our throw away society....excellent.....

------------------

May your days be filled with lots of sunshine and your nights lit up by golden moonbeams

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 1999-09-08 12:23 PM

Very good piece, Lucy! Well done!
traveler
since 1999-08-17
Posts 119

6 posted 1999-09-08 01:53 PM

very well said ...smile... relieved it isn't your story ... whether they be marriage vows or promises between lovers ... to some they mean so little ... to others so much ... I wonder if how one "feels" this poem is not related to how one views the significance of a vow ...thanks again
Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
7 posted 1999-09-08 02:46 PM

Lady Lucie:

Never say never. I do hope it's the case, but you just never know what's in store down the line. Case in point… I thought my parents would be together forever. Married 20 plus years with hardly ever a harsh word between them, seemingly happy and satisfied with what their relationship provided each other. Then it all fell apart when I was about nineteen. My mother decided she wanted something different in life and left the family. Such was my anger that I didn't speak to her for ten years. Years made even longer in that we were very close for I share much in common with my mother, her personality, humor, likes and dislikes. When we finally did come together, two weeks before my own wedding, I discovered my mother was very happily remarried and that her husband was / is a great guy. In the interim, my father had also remarried to a very wonderful woman. Now-a-days everybody gets along well and family gatherings are a most joyous occasion. At times I still wish my parents had never parted company but if they had not, so many things would be different with the loss of people I and my own family have come to care about and love. So, who is to say it wasn't for the best.
Well, that's probably more than you ever needed to know about my life, but I think it makes for a good counterpoint to your argument of "never." Personally, I'll never get divorced either. Here's to "Forever, till death do us part."

PS: I thought your work here was excellent. Thus my response as you have it. Thanks again.

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
8 posted 1999-09-08 11:01 PM

Good job, Lucie. It is well written, and unfortunately a not-uncommon experience today.

------------------
*Elizabeth*

"Dwelt a maid belov'd and cherish'd by high and low,
But with autumn leaf she perish'd, long time ago..."

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 1999-09-08 11:44 PM

BRAT still works for me! ** smooches **
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
10 posted 1999-09-09 08:40 AM

This was very well written! You have captured quite a bit in these words! I enjoyed this, though to think about it, tis a sad day! Hope I never have to go through that!
Lucie
since 1999-06-20
Posts 1077
Houston
11 posted 1999-09-09 10:07 AM

Thank you all for the comments.

And Balladeer, I am sure I have been called a lot of names in the past few days.. but I like Brat the best...hehe

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
12 posted 1999-09-11 03:35 AM

Well this did strike a chord with me Lucie.
It is sad that so few people hold to their vows. After my experiences with my (EX) I am left to wonder why bother with the vows at all...

cbutler
since 1999-09-11
Posts 4
bakersfield ca
13 posted 1999-09-11 06:52 AM

how did you come up with this being happly married and all?
Very good

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

14 posted 1999-09-11 01:40 PM

Another great one, Lucie!

------------------
Denise

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #2 » My New Name

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary