navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » Redirected to a blank page...
Bug Swatter
Post A Reply Post New Topic Redirected to a blank page... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ThunderMage
since 2002-06-20
Posts 812
Canada

0 posted 2005-06-09 02:09 PM

When posting a reply, I end up redirected to a blank page afterward, then when I get back to where I'd replied, I have to refresh the screen to see the reply I'd posted. These "hidden features" are a bit confusing...

What is life without poetry and adventure?
"Little sister" is just another way of saying "Guardian Angel"!

© Copyright 2005 Liam Hall - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2005-06-12 11:31 AM

TM~

I 'know' this feeling well ... for some apparently STRANGE reason I get the same BLANK page after a REPLY to a post~

When I took a look at the SOURCE for the page, this is what shows up ...
(and I'll have to take out the little <'s and >'s and replace them with **'s to get it to show here.
---------------------------------------------
**!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"**
**HTML** **HEAD**
**META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"****/HEAD**
**BODY** **/BODY** **/HTML**
---------------------------------------------
Not that I understand it ... but it's been doing that to me for eons now~

ANYBODY got a clue ?????????

It does NOT do it when I POST A NEW TOPIC ... ONLY on REPLIES !!!!

Ron, emailing you~
~*Marge*~

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
2 posted 2005-06-12 11:40 AM

Testing

Just trying this with my Norton Internet Security DISABLED !!!

Will let you know if I still get the blank page after I post this~

Marge Tindal
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
3 posted 2005-06-12 11:45 AM

Dang it ... that was the KEY ... but, then I'd have to ask, what good is my Norton Internet Security program ... if I can't use it ????
Duh !!!

Okay, kids ... check it for yourselves, if you have Norton AntiVirus Program, the one that also has the Internet Security Program ... try it by DISABLING your Internet Security Program ... it "should" work to take you back to the Topic to which you replied~

Well ! ... how about that ??

Ron, got any idea for a 'fix' for the program ??? (like you don't have ENOUGH to do)

I do like having the Internet Security ENABLED ... and seems a bit of a nuisance to have to go back and forth with Disabling and Enabling it to post a reply~

BUT ... if I have to  ... I guess I have to~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-06-12 11:56 AM

possible solution

One thing you might try, if you can, is to allow popups for both piptalk and netpoets.  Do the same for cookies.

ThunderMage
since 2002-06-20
Posts 812
Canada
5 posted 2005-06-12 12:21 PM

I get it on replies, but not on a new topic... it must be one of the "hidden features" mentioned on the link to this forum. And the HTML code, I'm not sure I understand that code myself, though I do know some basic HTML. I'll have to look at the code a bit more...

What is life without poetry and adventure?
"Little sister" is just another way of saying "Guardian Angel"!

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2005-06-12 09:44 PM

As you've already discovered, it IS a security issue. It's not about popups or cookies, however, and changing those settings likely won't help. As the title of this thread implies, it's about redirects.

I don't know anything about Norton, unfortunately. Internet Explorer 6.x has a setting for "Allow meta refresh" that should be set to Enable. Look for similar wording, I would presume, in Norton or any other security level.

Redirects can be a nuisance, like popups, which I guess is why some systems disallow them by default. There are instances, for example, where people get one page indexed in a search engine, but when you find that page and click on the link, you find yourself automatically redirected to another (perhaps less wholesome?) page. Obviously, that's not the way we use them here, and they are eminently useful for displaying feedback to let you know "something" is happening after clicking submit before sending you to another page that might well take a few moments to load. I'm looking for alternatives in our new software, but honestly haven't found anything comparable.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » Redirected to a blank page...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary