navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Home
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Home Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 1999-11-29 12:28 PM

I was wondering if anyone in here remembers me??...lol. It has been ages since I posted anything here. I hope you all enjoy.

It was cold and rainy as Skylar Gibson walked out of the terminal. It felt more like 8pm
then 11 am to her. It was very dark and gloomy. A small gust of wind chilled her as she
put her bags in the cab. She climbed into the cab and satback in the seat. Leaning her head
back, she closes her eyes for a moment. There was a knot forming in the pit of her
stomach, she struggled with the anxiety of being back in this town. Home; where the heart
resides. She consider this place home but did her heart reside here? I guess she would find
out. The Drivers door closed; bringing her out of her thoughts. “Where to mame?” The
cabby asked. “562 Glenview Avenue please.” Skylar replied. The cab moved slowly into
the traffic. The driver glanced occasionally into the rear view mirror, trying to place the
familiar face. A look of confusion and concentration on his face as the cab flowed with the
traffic. Skylar was watching the city pass, her thoughts on the past. They moved through
the streets so swiftly, her memories flying through her head. With every street there was
another one. She just let them flow, not pausing to see them clearly.

“Excuse me mame.” The cab driver interrupted her wandering memories. She looked
up to meet his eyes in the rear view mirror. “I have been trying to figure out who you are.
You look so very familiar to me. Do I know you?” The driver inquired. She smiled softly.
“My name is Skylar Gibson. I grew up in this city but I have been gone for many years.” A
huge grin flashed across the cabby’s face. “Of course! Sky, how are you? I’m Jerry Banks.
We were in the same class throughout most of our high school days.” Sky searched her
memories and hit on the face. A smile spread slowly across her lips. “Jerry the killer
quarter back. Didn’t you receive a scholarship to Princeton?” Jerry chuckled. “Yes, that
lasted about as long as my knee did. I managed to get my degree inspite of the football
injury. I am an entupenure. I own several small businesses in the city. This cab company is
just one of my ventures. I am driving today because on of my drivers wife is in labor.” Sky
laughed at the picture of a frantic cabby trying to get to the hospital with a fare screaming
from the back seat. They pulled up in front of her parents house. She just sat for a
moment, looking at the home that had once been hers. She paid the fare and told Jerry to
give her a call and they would have a drink or dinner to catch up.

The house was the same as she had always remembered. The well tended flower beds,
the decorative sign proclaiming to the world that the Gibson’s lived there. The sign was
old and weather beaten, she ran her fingers over the familiar groves. She was over
whelmed with emotions, she had kept them at bay for so many years, she could for a little
while longer. She walked slowly up to the door and rang the bell. Her mother opened the
door and smiled at her. “Skylar, your home!” Her mother let her in and when she had put
down her bags she embraced her mother tightly. “I have missed you Mom” Sky whispered
in her ear. When they broke the embrace Sky asked about her father. Her mother informed
her that he was still in ICU at the hospital and things weren’t looking very good for him.
“Would you like to go over right away or unpack your things first?” Her mother inquired.
Sky looked at her bags just inside the door. “I will put my things in my old room for a
second then I would like to go see him.” There were tears in her eyes as she spoke. She
wanted to have as much time with him as she could before he left them. The heart attack
had been so sudden and Sky hadn’t come to grips with it.

They arrived at the hospital shortly after 11 am. SKy followed her mother up to the
Intensive Care Unit. She stopped before they entered the room. “You need to be prepared
hon. He has wires and tubes everywhere. He is pale and comes in and out of
conscienceness. I think he has been holding on for you.” Her mother said quietly. SKy
took a deep breath and braced her heart for the sight of her father. They waked through
the doors and SKy was shocked. She knew he would look bad but no one can be prepared
to see a loved one dieing, for the first time. She drew in another deep breath and walked
over to the side of the bed. She brushed her hand over his forehead and down his cheek,
then leaned over and kissed his cheek. She sat in the chair next to the bed and held his
hand. “Dad?. Dad, it’s me Sky, are you awake?” He didn’t move immediately. Tears
shone in her eyes as she ran her thumb over the back of his hand. “I’m here Dad, I love
you.” He opened his eyes slowly. A small smile spread over his lips and he raised his hand
slowly to her face. He brushed his fingers over her cheek. “I love you too Skylar, my
baby.” His hand fell from her cheek and his eyes closed. The effort had exhausted him and
he was asleep again. Sky looked at her mother as the tears flowed down her cheeks
unchecked.

Her mother came over to her side and put her hands on her shoulders, kissing the top
of her head. “Would you like some coffee dear? I will go and get some and you can have
some alone time with him.” Her mother softly asked as she comforted her. Sky just
nodded her head. Her mother left the room and Sky laid her cheek on the back of her
father’s hand. “You have done so much for me. You have loved me when I was
insufferable. You comforted me when I was hurting, you picked me up when I didn’t
know how to do it myself. I love you Daddy. I want you to be happy and free of pain. I
promise you that I will look after Mom like you did. I want you to be comfortable with
leaving us. You gave us everything that we need to go on. I will always love you.” Silent
tears were running flowing over her father’s hand. She felt gentle fingers in her hair and
she looked up. He was looking at her, a gentle, radiant love shining from them. Her
mother re-entered the room and moved to the bed. His eyes moved to his wife, he raised
his hand slightly to her. She took his hand and smiled into his eyes. The love in both of
either eyes was evident. He opened his mouth but nothing came out for a moment, then
very softly he said. “ Take care of eachother. Remember I love you both.” Both women
smiled back at him. Sky’s mother leaned over and brushed his lips with hers. “Goodbye
my love.” Sky stood up and kissed the familiar cheek. “I love you too Dad.” He had
closed his eyes and the women watched his chest rise and fall as they held his hands. The
space of time between each breath increased until finally he breathed his last. A soft sigh
escaped his lips with the exhalation of the last breath and he was gone.

The two women who loved him most just sat and held on to him. Tears flowing freely,
they had lost something in their lives but they knew he was now free. After about 15 min
Sky rose from her seat and went to the nurses station. She informed them that her father
had passed on. The room became a bustle of activity after that. Sky gently took her
mother’s shoulders and moved her from the room. The next few days were a blur of
activity and familiar faces, they were full of food and memories. Three days from the time
she had arrived, they put her father into the ground. She said her final goodbye as she
watched the casket being lowered. Her mother was going to move with her to California.
She watched her home town pass by through the window of the cab as they traveled to the
airport. This was a new beginning for her mother and a final goodbye for Sky.

copyright M.H. 1999

[This message has been edited by Marilyn (edited 11-30-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Marilyn - All Rights Reserved
Deep Blue Me
since 1999-11-04
Posts 396
By a big lake
1 posted 1999-11-29 01:50 PM

Very touching, M.
It hits hard for those who have recently gone through this. My condolences to Sky.

DB

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
2 posted 1999-11-30 09:11 AM

Marilyn....you have a gift for telling stories my friend. WOnderfully written and very touching.
Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
3 posted 1999-11-30 06:08 PM

What a homecoming for poor Sky I enjoyed the read Maz. Glad you understood this lowly critique???

((HUGS))

------------------
The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there IS to celebrate.
~Isis~
(Daughter of Mystery)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 1999-11-30 11:56 PM

Of course we remember you!
How could anyone forget such an incredible author!!!

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2012-07-18 11:58 PM

Fresh eyes years later and I see a million ways to improve this piece..and the spelling and grammar errors...wow...lol
Duck1946
since 2011-05-16
Posts 84
Nebraska
6 posted 2013-03-01 07:46 PM

A very touching short story!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Home

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary