navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Occupy
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Occupy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2011-11-15 02:02 PM

Of  late several of my friends have asked me about the Occupy ( Wall St.) Movement and I haven’t  responded, but let me make a statement now that the first wave is over.  I say first wave since I can’t believe that these knuckleheads ( Communist and Anarchist in the mix ) will give up after a simple eviction.  I’m not sure they know what to do next, but they  will certainly do something no matter how poorly planned or thought out in advance.  None of these Occupy-Pity Me people seem to understand what they are up against and do not understand the greatest movement for social change.  That movement/ change of society was the Civil Rights movement of the 1960’s.   Those ‘un occupy ing ‘ protesters need to ask themselves “What would Martin do?”
First they need to be less in your face tone and get a ( as in one ) message.
Let us say it’s the Rich have too much money and the Poor don’t have enough, which is such a simple concept since it is the defining  of both words.  Class warfare has always been a good subject since by definition again there is more Poor than Rich.  It is good to stick with concept that can not be denied.
Second, if we follow the conception founded in the first step, is to bring a semblance of understanding ( doesn’t have to be the truth ) of the situation to the masses.  This should be geared toward the middle class rather than the Poor, since the Poor are the poor due to the lack of ability to move upward.  They will need these skills in the Poor to be successful and the middle class is the hope to teach them.  Actually they will probably carry the most of the Poor like usual.  Since this nitch is already being filled to some degree by the political system the Unoccupied will need a different venue.  I suggest media, which can be control by public opinion.
Next, get a real plan.  Even if you get all the Rich and do like the French Revolution did, a new Rich will emerge to take their place.  The Poor will remain the same with minor variations.  The middle class will return to their slaving to maintain society.  Their plan should encompass these truths.

Gloom

© Copyright 2011 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2011-11-15 10:34 PM

Well thought out, Gloom.
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2011-12-27 08:55 PM

I suppose with the large numbers of unnemployed, occuppiers will have at least an extra 40 hours a week to occupy...James
Duck1946
since 2011-05-16
Posts 84
Nebraska
3 posted 2013-02-28 03:45 PM

I enjoyed this mental exercise which you have presented.
As wiith any generalization: the greater scope (the greater number of events) the more the distortion. The smaller the number of events the more accurate, (but less useful) the outcome is.
Your generizations are large containing many events.
I, for instance, grew up poor. Living in a trailer park with no father, and a mother who fell in love with vodka.
Now I am a retired engineer-a victim of the recession-with a great family. Instead of being angry and resentful, I put my energy into volunteering which I find rewarding. Also I help my family.
My dad didn't want to be a father.
People say, "That's tough."
But I learned to be resourceful: I brought myself up, and my two brothers also.
In America we have our rebellion in our vote: which is why we have Obama for a president.
Many in the middle class are angry with government, and wall street. But we don't need to occupy or go to the streets. We can vote.
Also many in the upper class move down. I don't need to give examples.
If I read your statement correctly you are saying we all stay in the same class we were born into. It is true for some, but not for all.
Please post a reply and tell how far I am off base.
Thanks for the tought exercise. I will be reading more of your thoughts.

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
4 posted 2013-03-01 06:20 AM

Duck,
You sort of got what I said, but let’s review.
“As wiith any generalization: the greater scope (the greater number of events) the more the distortion”
And with any generalization there are atypical examples.  America is one of the few examples of a place where you can transcend you social status and rise upwards ( naturally falling backwards is also happening).
“But I learned to be resourceful: I brought myself up, and my two brothers also.”
You are an example of being able to transcend, a minority which grows as time progresses.  More and more people are turning to the state when they fail, why not, whom amongst us would refuse a free lunch.  But free lunches lead to dependence upon the provider if the individual , which is what our social engineering has done to a great volume of our lower class.  Why struggle what is given freely, unless you account for the loss of dignity.
One of the things that really put a bur in the saddle of the Occupy people is the fact that the vote has become almost useless to them.  If I vote for one or the other of the two parties the result is the same.  The only place where this isn’t true is in the local political situations.  But there is our true democratic design working and it fades in effectiveness as we move upwards.  Small parties are not invited to the table of upper government.  To prove this point, look to our representative congress.  What percentage of non Republican or non Democratic members are there.  Can we expect change from a body that only seeks to continue to exist, a group of people of rich only wanting to exchange it for the semblance of power that they refuse to give up even after abusing it. (okay they aren’t all rich, but I am sure they are way above the average American middle class worker that they say they represent)
Since I wrote the first part of this, over a year ago, little has changed and the movement has fizzled.  Why?  Because they outlived their media coverage without accomplishing anything.  Nothing is remembered except the mess they made of a few parks.  “Dirty Yuppies with Cell Phones that mommy bought them”

Gloom

Duck1946
since 2011-05-16
Posts 84
Nebraska
5 posted 2013-03-01 06:29 PM

Excellent points professor! Well said!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Occupy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary