navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Life’s folding continuum
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Life’s folding continuum Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Didymus
since 2008-05-01
Posts 33
USA

0 posted 2008-09-04 10:07 AM

Questions of life and grief               

12:10AM Thursday, May 09

When do my wishes exceed my grasp?

When does my grasp reach beyond my ability to hold what is real?  Is reality a personal perception, a construction of our past blended with the present in our mind?  Do people, looking at themselves as though from a distance, really understand what they want out of life?   Surly at least in part they must.  Surly we must experience human life through a filter of common humanity. A common human perception of what is real and what is a broken dream.

Are dreams merely an outward projection of what is already rooted in the past with a dash of hope blended and folded into the mix?  How can anyone really tell without finding for themselves a path into that dream and from there into tomorrow?

We all bring special qualities of uniqueness into everyday, every moment that sets us apart from others as individuals.  How can any two individuals possibly hope that contentment lies with someone different, special, and unique with their own path winding its way by chance or fate and coming from a different and entirely separate life, crossing paths, falling in love, hoping that this time its forever.

Hope, dreams and wishes blend with reality and that special chemistry that starts out love then over and over again undergoes a metamorphism that gradually becomes ordinary everyday life.  Joy, sorrow, tedium, consuming passion, fatigue and all those chaotic things that make up what is for each of us our daily lives comes with a life lived alone or together with a new love.  A new partner.

Intimate strangers hoping for contentment in a world that tries to tear them apart.  They cling tightly together, if wise, and share each moment.  [A witness one for the other.]

Late night thoughts, tired, disjointed perhaps even irrational musings of infatuation, wishes, dreams and curiosity.

© Copyright 2008 Didymus - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2009-01-29 04:09 PM

quote:
When do my wishes exceed my grasp?

Always. We strive for greener grass, bluer skies. Especially in the dark of night.

Enjoyed your ponderings.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2009-02-16 01:13 AM

This might be better suited to the philosophy forum.  Of course I'm hardly innocent of posting philosophical musings here.  In any case, I'm glad you posted this here.

Are dreams merely an outward projection of what is already rooted in the past with a dash of hope blended and folded into the mix?

This depends.  The dream must appeal to the dreamer.  In this sense then there is a certain basis in her previous experience.  However, in order for it to appeal to her, the dream must also satisfy her own inherent likes, dislikes, desires, etc.  Such things are not necessarily taught but may instead come out of the woodwork of the psyche as the dreamer develops as a person.  In the latter sense, they are there from birth.

How can any two individuals possibly hope that contentment lies with someone different, special, and unique with their own path winding its way by chance or fate and coming from a different and entirely separate life, crossing paths, falling in love, hoping that this time its forever.

I suppose that it is because the so-called path is in fact nothing more than a series of chance events to which the liver of the given life responds.  Life is both lived and experienced.  A man who falls in love with a woman and makes her a part of his life does so in much the same way he might read a book and make its contents a part of his life.  Was he destined to read that book or meet that woman?  No.  But the fact that he did so now contributes to the structured narrative that he necessarily, as a human being, constructs for himself.

-- My own tired thoughts to add to yours.  They too likely make little sense.  

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Life’s folding continuum

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary