navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » T’is the Season
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic T’is the Season Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2004-12-22 09:19 PM

T’is the Season Or Fa la la la Laa

Well, here it is the 22nd of December and the tree is finally decorated.  Not the latest I’ve ever gotten around to it, but I’m usually better than this.  Although there was that year in the Eighties when I didn’t even get a tree much less decorate it, but I was running a high fever the week before and wasn’t at all well that whole winter.  As I put the lights on, the cat gave only a casual interest so to remain in that cool cat mode.  The tree has been up for more than a week, undecorated, so he had sniffed it and viewed it from all angles and positions thus it was well established.  Then I plugged in lights and lit the tree, checking for the arrangement and spacing.  This got his attention.  Sure it had been here for a while and he’d gotten used to the scent and being, but till then it hadn’t lit up before.  He sat in the middle of the room and just looked at it.  By the time I’d finished putting all the balls and ornaments on the tree he’d moved to the Sofa perch to watch.  Oh sure he was acting like it was no big deal, after all it had only been a year since I had done this before.  I could tell he was interested.  Now I’m not a fanatical decorator and use multi-colored lights, multi-colored glass ball and an array of ornaments I’ve accumulated over the years.  Some might think of this as just chaos on pine, but it’s the way I have always remembered doing it since I was a little kid.  In fact I have a couple of little kid ornaments I made on the tree this year ( since I inherited my mother’s box of Christmas stuff).  Yeppers, there is a lot of tradition in the tree, the father Christmas on the top is older than me ( coming from my great aunt’s estate).  I did get one new one on the tree this year.  Guess there’s always room for a new one, since Smoky ( previous cat ) had a tendency to break the low hung ones as he batted them around in play and some still just break mysteriously.  Saturn, Demon-cat, has left the tree alone for the most part in the past years, except the drinking from the water.
Finished, boxes returned to the third floor and time to sit back and enjoy the display with a nice glass of Port.  Facing it in my rocking chair I become mesmerized by the beauty.  At least till Saturn starts his howling.  I suppose this is his singing and with a voice like mine I guess I shouldn’t criticize.  So with another sip I join in the song.
Saturn leaves the room quietly.

Merry Christmas to all

The Professor

© Copyright 2004 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

1 posted 2004-12-22 10:48 PM

A fun piece, but I think you could have pursued some of the dead ends your narrative seems to have run into.  For example, you give a few tidbits about the cat who used to bat the bulbs around, but you didn't pursue that...

Any idiot can see that the result is true.
-- argumentum ad idiotum
Me!

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
2 posted 2004-12-22 11:41 PM

Professor,

I'm glad to see you posting prose.  Your words are so easy to visualize!  I enjoyed the humor in this as well.  I can well imagine the cat batting around at the bulbs.  My favorite trees are the hodge podge trees with those sentimental ornaments, too. I miss them.  In the past few years, my daughter has taken over tree decoration, color coordinating it with all like ornaments and lights.
I must admit it is a pleasure to have her do it and see the finished product though!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

miscellanea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » T’is the Season

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary