navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Adventures of Smokey the Cat
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Adventures of Smokey the Cat Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2004-12-24 07:32 AM

It was the early Eighties, Eighty One to be more precise, and I was working and living in Frederick Maryland.  This was one of my more profitable times so I decided to move from my drafty third floor apartment to new condominiums that were being built nearby and bought a nice little two bedroom place that was half in the ground.  I had grown tired of the heights with the drafts that moved the curtains and other shoddy workmanship associated with the apartment complex.  After closing on the brand new condominium I had to wait another week for completion, but when allowed to move in it took all of about two hours to complete the move.  The only real furniture I had was the living room set.  A massive wood sofa, coffee table, end table, rocking chair, and love seat that matched the wood tone of the old rocking chair, which was the first piece of furniture I ever bought.  Now with my own place I thought of finding a roommate to share the place with and went to the local pound to see what could be found.  As I walked into the local Animal Shelter, I was followed in by a mother and child with a modest size box.  Inside were kittens, I forget how many after all these years.  Reaching in and taking the smallest of the gray kittens, easily held in one hand, I completed the paperwork then walked out with my new companion.
Thus it began, I didn’t have to look too long and he never saw the inside of the pound, at least till a bit later.

When we got home, only about a mile away, he gave a meow a sniff and ran to hide beneath my sofa.  The front of the sofa only had about a three inch clearance, but he was so little did not even slow in his scurry. I left him to his hiding and exploring as I went to buy the needed items for cat care.  This is where the wonder of cats are the best because he had no problem figuring out the uses for the items bought.  He ate the food in the bowl, drank a bit of the milk in the saucer, used the litter box and played with the toy all without any prompting. It was a little before Thanksgiving when we returned to the pound for the required procedure.  Then on the first Sunday of Advent when I put up my artificial tree began the retaliation against my Christmas balls for the loss of his.  At first it was just that they were knocked off the tree and easily returned to their place on the tree.  Then he learned to use the lay out of the Condo to his advantage.

The floors were that plush pile wall to wall carpet so popular back in those days and protected the balls from the fall when knocked off the tree.  The living room/ dining room area was separated from the kitchen, which had tile floors, by an eat at bar/ counter between the pantry closest at one end and a wall at the other.  From the wall of the bar went the hall to the master bedroom at the other end, which was also carpeted.  I returned from work one day to find a glass ball smashed against this wall and surmise that Smokey had learned to bat the balls up the hall and back down the hall using the accumulated speed for the destruction.  This was later confirmed by waking to the sound of breakage late at night.  I resolved this by putting a rolled up towel at the base of the wall ending his fun destruction for that year.  The next year when the Christmas balls returned he learned to turn the corner of the hall and continue down the kitchen to crash into the front door.

The years modified our behavior.  I took to putting the more expensive ornaments higher in the tree and he reduced the breakage to one a year.  Now we didn’t talk about this, it just sort of developed when in the third year I found a bit of a blood trail down the kitchen floor from the continual play with the ball after breakage.  I assume after breaking one per year remembered they were actually dangerous.  By the fifth Christmas, I had moved from there and he had gone on to other deviancies in my new home.

Gloom

© Copyright 2004 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2004-12-24 09:37 AM

Truly enjoyed Smokey's adventures.  Very descriptive and fun to read.  Enjoy the day.
          cathy

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
2 posted 2004-12-29 02:36 AM

I always go out of my way and read you stuff Glom. A nice piece
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Adventures of Smokey the Cat

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary