navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Untitled: Now It's Edgy
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Untitled: Now It's Edgy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2004-12-20 11:26 PM

Yeah, Fabala says.  She's come out from the kitchen and I can tell she wants to talk to me about something.
I had this dream, she begins.  I was on an airship and we had to get off.  It was the craziest ship.  One minute it was in the clouds and the next it was on the open sea at night.
I look at her.  She's got the most beautiful face this side of the city.  I love looking into those deep, blue eyes.  It's like I could get lost on an open sea at night just looking into her eyes without even listening.  But I'm a nice guy and I want to hear this.  Psychotopology is a required course for my major and dream analysis is a hot application for it.  It's what they use to attract us to taking it so we don't think it's just another dumb pre-requisite core.  
I was supposed to get into this old pod, she says, and I was supposed to leave.  I wanted to fly away and get home faster than everybody else would on the stupid airship.  It was like we were trapped on that thing for centuries and I was just waking up to my need to get on with my life.
She's holding a glass of white wine.  It sparkles in the strobe light some guy just turned on.  This party's getting trippy now.  Her blond hair shimmers.  It's like the whole room's just for her now.  She breathes in, goes on.
But then I just went nuts.  I don't know why.  It was like something was welling up inside of me and I had to spit it out, like puke.  Somebody called one of the technicians working on the airship to come and rescue me.  I don't know why.  I needed a psychologist or something.  But then it was the weirdest thing.  All of a sudden I was on the edge of the ship, sliding further and further down the metal on the side.  Soon I'd fall away and just keep on falling forever.  The guy came and I called out his name.  He kept getting closer and then I just yelled at him.  I hated him.
Man, you're really edgy, girl, I say.  I think about the dream some more.  The psychotopological transformation in it is pretty obvious.  Psychological rescue being transformed into physical rescue.  Pretty basic stuff.  As for a meaning, I don't know.  I'd have to go and talk to a mathematician.
What do you think it means?  she asks.
I don't know.  You took the same psychotop course I did.  Couldn't you just go and ask professor Motarba?
She looks disappointed.  But really, she says, do you think I'm going crazy?
No more than you usually are, I say.
Very funny.
But seriously, I think it's just a run of the mill case of stress.  I mean look at the rescue situation at the end.  One minute you want to be rescued.  You're on the verge of falling over the edge, but then the next minute you hate the guy trying to rescue you.  It's like you want to fall but don't.  Maybe you just don't know what you want to do next.
Dude, she says, that's friggin deep.  I think she's had a bit too much to drink.  She puts her arm around my shoulders and we start to dance.  Nobody else in the room is dancing, but it's cool with me.  She drops the wine glass and it shatters, barely audibly.  It's cool, I guess.  She's a really edgy girl.

Any idiot can see that the result is true.
-- argumentum ad idiotum
Me!

© Copyright 2004 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2004-12-22 06:53 PM

fractal,
   An interesting story, but I had a little trouble following it.  At times, I couldn't figure out who was talking or thinking until I reread it.  I liked the part about wanting to be rescued one minute and appearing to hate the rescuer the next.  
   Happy holidays.
               miscellanea  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Untitled: Now It's Edgy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary