navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Contrasts: Not a Xan Memory Upon a Bridge
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Contrasts: Not a Xan Memory Upon a Bridge Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2004-09-24 05:04 PM

Contrasts…happy/sad; fulfilled/incomplete.  Would it be accurate to say that at some time in life we’ve experienced both?   If we had not felt the contrasts in our own lives we may have not seen the signs that could have ended in tragedy.  

Today, as I was riding with my husband to the hospital to have my blood drawn, we drove down the familiar interstate, passing the rest area adjacent to Ohio’s highest bridge.  My mind was affixed to such trivial thought as wondering which phlebocologist would draw my blood.   Would it be Maggie, who could drill a hole in one, or would it be someone who didn’t know my difficult veins, who might take as many as five attempts?  Absorbed in self, I didn’t notice the car pulled over to the edge of the road.  Soon, we came to Ohio’s highest bridge, one of its longest bridges, also.

The bridge had always brought warm memories of Xan, a crazy college friend of mine who liked to do things out of the ordinary.  One was when he invited me to sneak on the catwalks of this same bridge.  Probably for no reason, other than associating the bridge with a good experience, I looked toward the valley when approaching it.  Strangely, it wasn’t the valley that drew attention this time.  In twenty odd years of daily commute, I had never seen anyone on the bridge other than the bothersome construction workers during morning traffic.  Before having time to digest the oddity of a lone woman walking on the bridge, we had already passed her.  She didn’t seem out of the ordinary, wearing jeans and a button down shirt of some sort.   If one were to ask for further description, I’d have none.  Her hair color and face had been invisible to me, but I did notice her posture.  She was slightly slumped, but no more than anyone else after a hard workout.  

By the time we reached the other side of the bridge, my husband and I had begun discussing the situation.  At first, I thought maybe her car had broken down, and that she had chosen to walk.  He agreed he had seen a car parked to the right of the highway.  Had the hood been lifted?  Perhaps, her radiator had over heated.  

“No,” he said.  
    “Don’t you think it’s rather odd to see someone here?”
     He agreed, reasoning that, in fact, her car had broken down, she would have walked to the closest place with a phone.  That would have been the rest area close to where she had parked her car.
Everything seemed illogical and a little frightening.  With the speeding cars traveling on the two lane bridge, she could easily be hit.  Or, perhaps that was what she… Suicide?  

In our quick passing, she didn’t have the look of someone who was in deep contemplation.  We wondered if she was an artist, who craved a glance at the beautiful perspective of the valley below, or a photographer, who dared capture the scenic landscape.  After seconds of debate, I grabbed the phone.  What photographer would could take photographs without a camera?   The only thing she had was the shirt on her back.  

“Hello… I’m not sure if this is an emergency, but”
    “We’ll send somebody right away Mam.”

When we returned from the hospital, neither she or her car were in sight.  Both were invisible…

~ ~ ~

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (09-25-2004 06:42 PM).]

© Copyright 2004 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2004-09-25 06:43 AM

Cathy,
You gave me goose bumps and lots of 'em. It's amazing when a person can make a difference and yet...  Thank you for sharing this.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
2 posted 2004-09-25 06:51 PM

Larry,
  I know this was not the greatest writing on Earth.  I was pretty tired when I wrote it and spent only about five minutes on it, but I had to get the message out.  How many invisible people are there?

Thanks for reading and appreciating the value behind it.  I am always glad to see you again.  You are a delight!

misc'a

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2004-09-26 07:09 PM

Enjoyed; thanks for the read

and then He created the horse...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2004-09-26 08:57 PM

Misc'e...you know what?  I see a writer blooming...

I also see a heart in good stead, with a man who also thinks like she does, with compassion for others....

I have a feeling the woman is no longer invisible, but safe.

Well done!

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
5 posted 2004-09-27 09:17 AM

Skyfire,
   Thanks for reading.  I'm glad you enjoyed the deep thoughts.  Guess we have to keep on the lookout for invisible people...
         miscellanea

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
6 posted 2004-09-27 09:26 AM

Sunshine,

You are a God send.  I wish you could have known the woman.  You would have been a blessing.  Just got a phone call from my husband. The police didn't get there in time!
She wasn't an artist or photographer--just an invisible person.  
   In the paper, they mentioned the phone call I had made.  I wonder if they wished we would have stopped to help.  I don't think there is anything we could have done.  We couldn't back up on the interstate, and I can't walk.  My husband is feeling a little guilty I think because he didn't pull over and ask if she needed any help... But if she was that determined to jump, his presence may have only made it more agonizing for the both of them before she actually did.  I guess the only thing to do is send up some prayers that the place she goes becomes a beautiful one...
    She was 59.

As to my writing, thank you for special comment.  I needed it today. I'm going to give it a go and see what comes out.  Hope your visit is wonderful!
            luv and hugs,

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (09-27-2004 12:05 PM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2004-09-27 01:05 PM

Oh, gads...I guess she is "safe" now...at least she isn't hurting any more...

I'm so sorry for you and your husband, dear.  You will not forget that for a long time.  

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
8 posted 2004-09-27 02:11 PM

Sunshine,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes, I'm sure we won't forget.  She has made an impact on our lives.  I wish I knew her name.
I would write a song for her.  I think I will anyway, but it seems strange to write it for an unknown woman.
    Thanks, Karilea.  You are very special.
               miscellanea/cathy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Contrasts: Not a Xan Memory Upon a Bridge

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary