navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #22
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #22 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-05-04 10:20 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #22
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #22 “That’s Not Funny”:

We were dating and it was winter. So putting the car in the garage would keep snow off the car. I opened the garage and headed for the door to the house. Time has not changed my mind about the old Christmas tree that jumped out in front of me. With every step I attempted the tree blocked the effort. In no time at all my head got too far in front of my feet. With a hurried effort my feet tried to catch up without success. So with a tree flopping back and forth between my legs, leaning so far over I thought I would fall down I did the fastest shuffle across the garage ever known to mankind.

Time has done little to heal the shame. And it has done even less to fade the memory. After nearly twenty years I still cannot convince my wife that that’s not funny.

April 29, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-05-04 10:45 PM

:-)...That's Not Funny but it did put a smile on my face and I felt the conviction of your wife. The memory lives on!
Isn't it funny that the
that's Not Funny things seem to keep us chuckling!
Keep smiling!
pictureme :-)

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-05-05 12:22 PM

pictureme,
There are two things wrong with this story. I was never ashamed. I was MAD! And two Nancy didn't think it was funny...she thought it was hysterical. And you're the best.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

3 posted 2004-05-24 07:23 AM

hehe giggling

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-05-24 08:14 PM

Maree,
I get a laugh out of it now too. But not then. Glad you enjoyed it.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
5 posted 2004-09-25 10:08 PM

I can just image this little dance.  It sounds like a Charlie Chapman!  Enjoyed.
(would love to have been there, Twinkle Toes!

miscellanea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2004-09-26 02:34 AM

Cathy!
Thanks. LOL Could you send me the music for that dance? LMBO It took me a long time to find the humor in that event. Then I grew up, well, sort of.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2004-09-26 07:02 PM

*grin* I would have thought it hysterical too

and then He created the horse...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2004-09-27 01:02 AM

Rhonda,
Brat! And you know what? It WAS dang funny. LOL

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #22

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary