navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Darkness...a Bright Idea
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Darkness...a Bright Idea Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-09-01 12:47 PM

Darkness...a Bright Idea
By Larry Chadwick

We moved to the country recently. It is so far out we drive right through the heart of a farm. Crime has ingrained in us the need for precautions. Even out here when they build a house they offer to install alarm systems that they are willing to monitor full time for a monthly fee. Paranoia. A little of it is okay, in fact, it is healthy. But when companies try to profit from it, I resent it. When I declined they implied I was taking an unnecessary risk. Interesting that in the same neighborhood they put in no street lights because the area is safe enough they are not needed.

The builder has a theory that the carriage lights on the garage pillars will generate enough light to substitute for street lights. Why they don’t just confess that there are no street lights because it saves the developer money, I don’t know? But there is a benefit to their cost saving measure. I introduced my wife to that benefit the other night. It was a new moon and I took her out in the dark to look at the stars. She had lived in the city for so long that I had to define for her the milky way. I am thrilled that the developer chose to save money by not installing street lights.

I discovered recently some truths about life that parallel our ability to see the milky way from our backyard. My daughter died, she was twenty-eight. And ten weeks later, I lost my dad. He was seventy-two. Those were truly dark days. Darker than I ever hope to see again. But in the dark I saw things I had never seen before. Things like the truth that “grief without growth is pain without purpose.” Things like: “faith is enough to get you through.” Things like: “support from your friends gives you strength.” It is amazing what you can see when the lights go out.

August 28, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
1 posted 2004-09-01 09:39 PM

it is amazing and what a beautiful point of view you have  taken ... such wonder and wisdom in your words....heart hugsss

Lauren~

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone though you're still with me
I've been alone all along..Now I'm bound by the life you left behind

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-09-02 01:18 AM

Lauren,
I know you know these truths so I so much appreciate the affirmation. Thank you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-09-02 10:19 AM

Larry,
   A privilege to read.  I love your writing strategies that lead one right to the heart of wisdom!  To boot, you do it in so few words-how I envy!

As to the light situation, I understand greatly.  My dad and I used to go out into the yard at night to gaze at stars.  Usually I had to wrap a blanket around me because I knew we'd be out there for a long time.  I still live on the family farm back a third of a mile lane, seemingly far from neighbors because of all the trees.  

Although it's like a little garden of Eden back where I live, the sky is cluttered with constant planes and  saturation of streetlights in the nightsky.  The days of my star gazing are dwindling, as more subdivisions are built around us.

Your analogy is marvelous.
                misc'e  

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-09-02 09:41 PM

misc'e,
Your replies are always so generous and leave me with a wonderful feeling. But even better is your sharing. What a shame your stars are being washed away and how cool to be in that same home. I love roots! Thanks.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2004-09-05 09:42 AM

Sounds like you're making some new roots of your own, Larry.  I also enjoy, as you well know, seeing both sides of the picture, taking from one side to boost the other through the dark times.  We come out a big stronger, sometimes, in our convictions.  Sometimes, we just emerge a little wiser.  I continue to feel strongly that Ginger only glows a bit more with each writing you perform, knowing that she rubbed off on you in all of the right ways.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2004-09-05 02:14 PM

Ah Karilea,
You know how to make this daddy's broken heart heal just a little more. As parents we experience a lot of pain(I know you know) and if we don't let it harden us it absolutely makes us wiser).

wllz.on.ice
since 2004-09-07
Posts 35
the united kingdom.
7 posted 2004-09-08 06:14 PM

I have only read a little of your work, and your wisdom touches me already...

i think im going to fall in love with your words.

thanks for helping again.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2004-09-08 08:22 PM

wllz.on.ice,
You know how to put a smile on this old mans face! Thank you for that and for your kindness. Peace.

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
9 posted 2004-12-06 04:54 PM

"But in the dark I saw things I had never seen before. Things like the truth that “grief without growth is pain without purpose.” Things like: “faith is enough to get you through.” Things like: “support from your friends gives you strength.” It is amazing what you can see when the lights go out."
...Indeed it is amazing what you can see when the lights go out. When you just allow your eyes to adjust. I think that the greatest pain makes a gift of itself by its contrast with great pleasure. Each has its own beauty in diverse ways.
Thank you for sharing your words.

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2004-12-07 07:45 PM

Lizzie,
Dark times are learning opportunities. But as you'll discover not all choose to learn when they have the chance. And I totally agree with you. Thank you muchly for your kind words.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
11 posted 2005-03-18 06:51 PM

Nice writing from your heart Larry...I don't think I would feel safe in the country without a big dog to warn of intruders...James
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
12 posted 2005-03-21 10:33 AM

James,
Sounds like a good plan to me. We recently had to put our dog down. So we are feeling pretty lonely. And thanks.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Darkness...a Bright Idea

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary