navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Personal Progress: Unfinished Dialogue
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Personal Progress: Unfinished Dialogue Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2004-12-18 08:50 PM

Fred looks up at John, seated there on a bench in the train station.  Fred sees that John's been reading the newspaper for the last twenty minutes.  Is it---? Yes, it's the same article.  Obesity rates have sky rocketed as a result of increased consumption of fast foods.  That's nothing new.  But Fred has to say something anyway.  He's just that type.
Stupid morons in the herd, eh?
John looks up.  Were you talking to me?
Fred pauses.  Yeah, I was.
Okay.  What do you mean?
I mean, look at these stupid people being sucked into buying all that stuff.  It's their own fault that they are fat.  They can't be bothered to get up off their buts and excercise and eat healthy.
John sits there a moment.  He's tempted to nod and go back to reading the article.  But he's not one to back down from a challenge.
I don't know if these people are stupid.  Maybe they've just not been making the best decisions.  The way I see it, I've been given this body by God and I need to take care of it.  You can probably see that I've not always made the best decisions, but I'm trying to get my life back on track.  One of the ways you serve God is by taking care of what he's given you.
Fred looks at him.  What self-help book have you been reading?  Oh let me guess, it's God's Ultimate Weight Lost Challenge Book, right?
John laughs.  No, I've just been keeping better track of what I do in my life and how I live.
That sounds so new-agey.  I can only assume you read self help books all the time and that you have not even ventured into the world of good, intellectual books.  How can you, as a Christian, justify reading such material?
How can you, Fred, as a Christian, justify your elitist attitude toward everyone else?
Let me ask you, John, how can you justify wasting time reading books that simply do nothing good intellectually?  You are only given a finite amount of time on this earth and so you'd better be a good steward and do something productive with it.
John looks at his watch.  Five thirty-eight in the morning.  Perhaps he should be sleeping now?  The train won't come for another two hours.  But he is intrigued by this brother in Christ.
And so, John begins, you consider only those books that are written for the sake of furthering the intellect to be of any value?
Indeed, Fred says, I crave philosophical texts as I once craved food all the time.  They are my new craving, and what fulfillment they bring.
For a while they are silent, as both ponder the discussion that has just transpired.  Sleep comes shortly.

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

© Copyright 2004 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
1 posted 2004-12-19 09:34 PM

When I tried you link a the bottom I got. "The page you wanted is taking a long lunch.
Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL."

Thanks for sharing your writing.

Lexy
since 2003-01-28
Posts 1038
California
2 posted 2005-03-20 03:39 PM

nice!
I'm rather fond of that.
it sings.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-03-21 10:42 AM

how funny...when I checked the link, I got this "err-or! er-ror - 404!
OK, that's the last time we let you drive.
Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL."

As for the prose, punctuation would be a great help.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Personal Progress: Unfinished Dialogue

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary