navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Whatever happened to spoolies?
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Whatever happened to spoolies? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Shirls
since 2004-08-05
Posts 5
Massachusetts

0 posted 2004-08-12 09:18 PM

Whatever Happened to Spoolies?

Whenever I go to the fax machine it’s working.  Either it’s phone rings and something is being received or someone else got there first and something is being sent.  There are days when I think this inanimate machine sees me coming, it‘s become personal.  And I go to that busy corner of the office frequently each day.  It always makes me think ‘how did we ever survive without the fax’?  Or computers, cell phones, answering machines and copiers.  Do you remember the old mimeograph from school?  The smell of  that bluish purple ink?  Brought you back didn’t I?

There are days when going back to that time might be just what we need.  I miss some of the simplicity.  Black & white TV, the kind that showed a white dot in the center of its 12 or 13 inch screen when you turned it off;  taking ten minutes to spend your nickel on penny candy that really cost a  penny;  a time when there were no school lunches, you always carried your own in those metal lunch boxes with Superman  or Howdy Doody on the outside, and maybe purchased a small container of milk for two cents.

There’s so many things that are probably gone forever, except in the world of ‘retro‘.  Milk delivered to your door in glass bottles with the cream separated at the top,  the Model  A or the Model T with that funny knob for the choke, party lines for your telephone (the one without a rotary dial, just an operator at the other end of the line), hula hoops, S&H green stamps, doing math without a calculator, drive-in movies, inkwells in your desk at school (and you really used them!), nylons that came in two pieces and had seams, perked coffee.  And of course spoolies, those cute little rubber hair curlers, shaped like a martini glass.  After the hair is wrapped around the ‘stem’, the bowl of the ‘glass’ is inverted down over the stem.  And we slept with those things on our head.  The strange things women and young girls have always done to make themselves more beautiful!!

Today is exciting.  You can talk to anyone from anywhere, communicate at the speed of light, it seems.  I love it, most of us do.  But our world seems crazier now than ever before.  Are we simply more aware because of what technology has given us or has progress taken away something important and been the cause of many of today’s problems?  There will always be that debate.  I guess everything really does have its price.  But, I do wonder.........whatever happened to spoolies?  I haven’t seen one in decades!

© Copyright 2004 Shirls - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2004-08-12 10:18 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36407&item=5513606332&rd=1

Scroll down the page...

Happy reminiscing!

Shirls
since 2004-08-05
Posts 5
Massachusetts
2 posted 2004-08-13 09:08 PM

Thanks, Sunshine.....you really can buy anything on EBay!  But some things are better memories than reality.  They do make a great answer to a trivia question, though.  I think I'm really showing my age here so maybe it's time for a little less reminiscing!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2004-08-14 04:57 PM

Heck no!  Continue to reminisce...not everything ends up on E-Bay...well, at least, I hope not EVERYTHING.  As for showing age...I'm thankful you've got it to SHOW!  The alternative...is not something I'm ready for, just yet!  
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2004-08-14 09:46 PM

Hi you!

When I want a detour to nostalgia I visit your sister   By the way, she mentioned you were looking for something like this perhaps?  Enjoyed your story, keep them coming Shirl.

This site is quite good it is "The Eclectic Writer" and was recommended by Melissa of the Falcon's Pen for you to use.
http://www.eclectics.com/writing/writing.html

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2004-08-15 06:40 PM

... wearing rollers all night so our curls could dry... curls made with white rags... or bobbie pins (with the bandana wrapped around)...  

I hate to say it, but the town we grew up in STILL has no supermarket or traffic lights.  It's a real sleeper.  Maybe our spoolies are still up in the attic?  We should check...

I enjoyed this one, Shirl..

clarity4tm
since 2007-02-14
Posts 1

6 posted 2007-02-14 12:10 PM

SPOOLIES!!!!!   I remember them well!  I actually did a search for them several months ago and guess what!  You can still get them at a place online called vermont country store.  There are alot of "memories" there!  I even called my mother and said "Do you remember........."  We had a great conversation because of course many of the items brought back memories of her past as well!  If you really want to trip down memory lane check that place out!  Enjoy and let me know what memories YOU envoke!  
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2007-02-14 12:25 PM

The Vermont Country Store

LOL, loved this wee bit of prose as the last of tonight's reads.  By the way, this store has them, and if they don't what you want, they will find it.      

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Whatever happened to spoolies?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary