navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments from Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments from Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2004-06-26 02:31 PM

13. Living Cheaply But Well

Armed with two bags, I came to stay in a Thai village for three weeks with twenty other friends.

There, I took unhurried stares at the sky and land but still couldn't believe that the vibrantly-tinted scenery was real. Surely, such perfection only existed in the backdrop of your kindergarten photos as you smile awkwardly at the camera.

There, I watched the kids flaunt their carefree childhood as they climbed trees, hunted for tadpoles, took a dip in a muddy pool, played soccer and did all the things that's bound to mesmerize an urban dweller and steal her/his heart away. Sometimes, I silently watched. Other times, I tried to converse with them in whatever Thai I could muster. Always, my attention was undivided.

There, I formed a connection with the locals, simply by drinking whisky and singing "Loy Kratong" with them.

There, I chatted with my friends way into the wee hours of the night. We exchanged ancedotes about delightful events that occured during the day and reminisced about the collective memories we had made earlier in the trip.

Needless to say, I was happy and contented

Since my return to Singapore, a sense of urgency perpetually haunts me as I desire to do many things, all at the same time. I should probably start watching the DVDs that I have previously borrowed from friends? But there's this fantastic CD that I have to listen to. Hey, darn, I ought to rest since I would die if I miss today's Euro matches again. Hmmm, perhaps a quick reconcilitation with my computer (and Internet access!) before I nap though?

I am not as happy.

I learned that I wasn't necessarily deprived when I crammed my life's possessions into two bags.  I learned that an abundance of material stuff just clogs up my void but does little to satisfy it. I need to catch my breath from all the nauseatingly-diverse range of gadgets available. No mood to stand and stare. No luxury to engage in humanity. Just a never-ending need to spend ME time because I have to take my turn with all my gadgets

I lived cheaply but well in Thailand. I guess I can't possibly live cheaply in Singapore because I am immersed in a different socio-cultural environment after all. So the trick would be to live well in my homeland, with realisation gleaned (and hopefully internalised) from Thailand.

© Copyright 2004 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2004-06-26 03:14 PM

kaile,
You are the man! I love it. That was a wonderful read. Thank you, thank you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2004-06-26 04:51 PM

Define living well? Happy?  That is living well to me.  Wonderful story Kaile, wonderful, and loved the transistion from place to place.
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-06-27 01:01 PM

kaile,
   You struck the right chord with me.  The things I remember the best are the ones that involve little or no money.  Thanks for taking me across the world for a little relaxation.
               miscellanea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments from Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary