navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Reading With Winnie
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Reading With Winnie Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-06-25 11:02 AM

Reading With Winnie
By Larry Chadwick

I introduced Ginger to Christopher Robin when she was just a little girl. She loved the art as much as she loved the adventures. And so we used to sit countless evenings together exploring the world of Christopher Robin. If I failed to volunteer rarely did she fail to ask. Time moved on and though Christopher Robin never seemed to grow Ginger did. And so the appropriate time came to introduce her to the land of Narnia. This time every chapter came in sequence and the squeals of delight affirmed the gift of C.S. Lewis to weave a story into theological allegory that even a child could adore.

Eventually she did not need her daddy to read to her anymore. And the very same books were in her hands only now the words came from her own lips. So when in her twenties I found “Pooh’s 70th Anniversary Collector’s Edition” with the original art colorized by the original artist I could not help myself. I bought it. One for her and one for me. Recently Pooh and Tigger left the house at Pooh’s Corner and moved in with me. They did not really want to go but Ginger’s gone and never coming back. They are good company and now and then we sit together and read “The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh”. And once again it is my turn to do the reading.

June 24, 2004

May 18, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2004-06-25 11:33 AM

~*~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-06-25 08:05 PM

Yup,
Their at my place! Thanks.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-06-27 01:07 PM

Larry,
  You sound like such a good dad.  I bet you're reading to her as a child was a major influence on her to teach the excitement of literature.  

I enjoyed this, Larry.  Is there any better animated company than Winnie and Pooh?
Keep reading.  
               miscellanea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-06-27 01:56 PM

Miscellanea,
It is the most important thing I do and did. And thank you that is extrememly generous.

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
5 posted 2004-06-27 09:30 PM

Larry, when are you going to put all these little anecdotes in book form, you have such a way with all these little stories, I, for one, think they would make a great book.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2004-06-28 04:02 PM

Jeffrey,
Well, compliments don't come nicer than that! Thanks. Actually I am working on the Assigments from my Daughter with the Prologue and Epilogue as a possible publication. I'm sure it's a long shot but I want to try. As for the rest, well, I just have no idea how to go about that. And thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Reading With Winnie

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary