navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Facilitating a team's development process--Part 1 of 3
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Facilitating a team's development process--Part 1 of 3 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2004-06-17 01:29 PM

Just last December, I never thought I would sign on as facilitator for a Thailand-based community service project(termed as YEP) during my final semester in which it was expected of me to abandon all lesser pursuits and churn out a beautiful thesis. Nevertheless, it was a decision I’m glad I took because I have realized that there is still a lot of depth to overseas community service for one to explore and uncover.

Comprised of National University of Singapore students from various faculties, Project Childrenloveforest was established in February 2004. Given that we required time to solicit for additional funds for the library and prepare for exams held in April, I felt that I could not afford the luxury to conduct facilitation sessions, honestly speaking. Yet, I was conscious of the need to introduce to my teammates (affectionately known as Foresters) the place of facilitation in a YEP and the need for it.

Therefore, I included anecdotes in my emails, in hopes that this would get Foresters used to the idea of facilitation and think more critically about their rationale for undertaking this project. I was fortunate to have a supportive leader (Samantha) and project manager (Grace), who never failed to share their insights on the points raised. I also tried to network with Singaporeans who have been on YEP trips to Thailand. I got them to write about their experiences so that my team would have a better idea on what to expect. At the end, I compiled an 8 page report, which wasn’t much to brag about admittedly but nonetheless served as a useful foundation, for me at least, to compare my observations and impressions with.

Samantha and I conducted some facilitation during our pre-bonding camp after the exams. We role-played as two participants who held drastically opposing views—she as a participant receptive towards facilitation and learning, I as someone hell-bent on service and getting the job done. We then asked Foresters to share with the group about how they perceived our project in terms of Service and Learning. It was a good sharing session because we revealed the concerns that had been plaguing our minds. Issues like whether the library was something the villagers needed and hence would take the effort to maintain were raised. Doubts about whether we would be more of a hindrance to construction and whether we would be able to cope with communal living and with little material comforts were voiced out. Grace popped over at our chalet the next day and soothed our reservations. A remark she made (about how project managers maintain transparency with host partners regarding the sincere intentions and limitations of a typical expedition team) stuck in my mind and assured me that our hosts would have realistic expectations of what our team could achieve. It was also comforting for me to realize that all Foresters were committed to learning, just that they didn’t have an inkling of what they hoped to learn from this trip yet. This would make my job easier.

© Copyright 2004 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2004-06-21 01:23 PM

kaile,
Wow and still in school! I'm impressed by your courage and ability. As usual I find your writing smooth and easy to read. Hope you post 2 & 3 soon as I want to know what you are doing and how it works out.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2004-06-21 06:47 PM

now I know where you've been, why you've been too busy to hang out with pipsters much

Way to go kaile! you are very very special, and you are a DO-er, not just a thinker when it comes to breaking down communications barriers between people.
Good luck!
So,
the 'Grace' of Samantha and the Foresters, part 2? will we read this soon?

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
3 posted 2004-06-24 01:11 PM

Larry and Kacy, thanks for reading! this piece means muchly to me....

erm, i'm doubtful about "ability" and "DO-er" but i guess we all do the best we can, don't we? just doing my bit in making my world better

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Facilitating a team's development process--Part 1 of 3

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary