navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #1
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #1 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-03-03 11:00 PM

Assignments From My Daughter
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics. I had no way of knowing they would gift it to me the day I visited her classroom after she died.

Assignment #1 “Flattery Versus Praise”:

Similar to brown nosing. If I’m not mistaken. Dad tried to teach me that just once in a while it wasn’t a bad thing to brown nose. I never did that well at insincerity. It just seemed to me that my credibility would have significantly greater credence.

My dad’s advice always puzzled me. Never once did I see him role model that behavior. With numerous childhood memories of seeking approval I do not recall being patronized by him with flattery. And the praise must have been in proper doses because it does not stand out either.

Praise without sincerity is flattery. And I have none to offer. Everyone in some way is worthy of praise. Not only that, everyone is obligated to provide praise. What you will not offer you should not expect to receive. Funny but it seems that praise with sincerity is the sweetest form of flattery. Flattery versus praise. Give up the right one and you feel like you got them both.

March 3, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (03-04-2003 08:48 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

1 posted 2003-03-06 02:11 PM

This is wonderful... Thank you for the lesson.

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-03-07 12:24 PM

Thank you for your kindness.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
3 posted 2003-03-07 12:33 PM

what a wonderful relationship you must have had with your daughter to teach her such a lesson :-)  Sweet...
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-03-08 12:09 PM

KristieSue,
I was indeed blessed. Thank you.

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
5 posted 2003-03-10 04:09 AM

What a blessing you have shared with us. Thank you.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
6 posted 2003-03-10 07:58 AM

Larry,
how you are able to articulate those abstract, often elusive life's lessons in words is beyond me...i'm fortunate to be able to steal pages from your book

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
7 posted 2003-03-11 12:13 PM

Oh Kethry, thank you so much.

kaile,
Well now you do know how to make this old man happy after much loss. Bless your youthful wisdom.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

8 posted 2003-03-18 12:43 PM

Everyone in some way is worthy of praise. Not only that, everyone is obligated to provide praise. What you will not offer you should not expect to receive. Funny but it seems that praise with sincerity is the sweetest form of flattery
==============================
*shaking me mothy head* ...
the wisdom of these heart and life lessons learned are priceless..as is the reasons behind the inspiration..together they become a treasured gift....
Im on to the read the next installment and will comment further..

If I am right ... if I can be ...
constant and faithful ... you'll find me

TC

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
9 posted 2003-03-19 12:27 PM

JM,
Thank you always for your support and encouragement. These are much fun. There is something about sitting down and writing in response to my daughter's classroom assignment. It helps me stay connected. Peace.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
10 posted 2003-03-26 12:10 PM

well, Larry, thoughts ran through my head as i was reading your words and i thought i'll spend some time to capture them and put them into words...thanks for the inspiration...

I will like to submit the piece i wrote for Reflections, if you may...i trust you won't mind me doing so?

Stay connected? well, i will chip in if inspiration strikes and my muse cooperates...

HUGS

[This message has been edited by kaile (03-26-2003 07:49 PM).]

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
11 posted 2003-03-27 12:55 PM

kaile,
You're the best! You bet and thanks.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

12 posted 2004-05-20 06:46 AM

What you will not offer you should not expect to receive

Precisely, such Wisdom Larry, absolutely wonderful...I'm moving on to the next installment.

Thank you.

Maree

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
13 posted 2004-05-20 08:27 PM

Hi Maree,
Thanks for taking on the reading of this project.

Sadelite
Member Elite
since 2003-10-11
Posts 2519

14 posted 2004-06-22 07:00 PM

Larry,
   I'm glad she left you this gift.  It has been a gift to us all.  I feel quite fortunate to be among those with whom you share this intimate part of your life.  

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
15 posted 2004-06-22 09:08 PM

Sadelite,
Actually it is I who feels blessed. How amazing that people are interested in reading what I write. You make it a joy, believe me.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #1

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary