navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #13
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #13 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-04-27 03:45 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #13
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #13 “Making Our Highways Safe”:

She was only three years old and knew nothing of highway safety. Here daddy was twenty-seven and seemed to not know much about highway safety either. However, for the time frame of the story it was common behavior. We were making a simple run to the store in our little 1974 Mustang II. Ginger was standing in the middle of the back seat with her arms outstretched in opposite directions hanging on to the seat. I will never forget that moment that defined for me her approach to the rest of her life.

Turning right from a stop sign I punched the accelerator. And when the tires screeched trying to grab the pavement she squealed, “Faster, daddy. Faster.” As I reflect on this experience from my middle age I rue the flaw that she was not buckled up. But I cannot let that alter the joy of that moment. Just her and I.

She is gone now. Passed unexpectedly. And not from my driving. But like her daddy she grew to care about highway safety. And in spite of her approach to life, I speak confidently when I suggest that she would name two things that would matter to highway safety. Mixing drinking and driving. And patience.

April 25, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
1 posted 2004-04-27 10:22 PM

Larry:  Your daughter obviously had a great love of life!  These precious memories will never fade away.

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
2 posted 2004-04-27 11:17 PM

Larry C,
I told you I was following you thru this assignment! :-)
Glad to see you posted #13. I loved the image of the child....free....standing
arms stretched....squealing...
"Faster, daddy. Faster."
Times sure have changed!
Yet just as I am caught up in the speed, the smiling child, and the thrill of the Mustang II,
enjoying the ride, I am quickly thrown back in a seatbelt. The last paragraph is full of truths that will shine thru a lifetime.
Thanks for posting. Enjoyed the ride and the safety lesson!
Keep keeping on....you do your daughter- proud!
pictureme :-)

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2004-04-28 01:02 PM

Trillium,
Thank you. It is fun to share the memories.

pictureme,
Thanks so very much. I shared this story from the platform at her funeral. I had to offer an apology to her mother for not having her in the seatbelt.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

4 posted 2004-05-20 07:42 AM

I don't know what to say, you and Ginger have touched me so much tonight.

Maree

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2004-05-20 08:53 PM

Maree,
Just fond memories shared. Thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #13

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary