navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #12
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #12 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-04-23 07:51 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #12
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #12 “How To Get What You Want”:

Indifference. I have used it to get what I want. Reverse psychology. I have used that too. Manipulation. I must say that I find it a boring tool to use. And even more annoying when someone else uses it. Desire. Properly managed it requires discipline. Gratification. Something criminals often fail to wait to satisfy. How to get what you want?

Love. Something you have to give away to get back. Friendship. A variation of the same. Money. Something a bank has to part with to get more of it back. Patience. Something that must be tested to get more of it in return. But in it all there is a consistent theme. You rarely get more than you give. Life proves that not all is fair. But then again what is fair may not be settled until the judgment. So what do you want? And more specifically when do you want it?

The rich have wealth but they want peace of mind. Often the poor have peace of mind but they want wealth. Why is it most of us seem to want what we do not have? The oppressed want freedom and the free take it for granted. Many married people wish they were single and most single people wish they were married. Maybe it is time to reconsider what we really want. Or maybe we are thinking too much about what we want.

Perhaps it is time to look at the subject again. Silly me. I naturally directed my thoughts at what I wanted. I would like to take another run at this. What do you want? And what can I do to get it for you? I think I will try sowing more of what I want to reap. I am not getting all that much of what I thought I wanted anyway. You know, I think this may just work.
April 22, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-04-23 10:25 PM

Hello Larry C,
I'm following you onto the end of your assignment. :-)
I found your write interesting with alot of thoughts. LIfe is not fair but I do believe we will all get what we reap...someday! I think the number one thing we must look at on "How To Get What You Want" is to first figure out your own true wants! Perhaps the saying should be
"Be careful what you want for!"
Thanks for another great read....I'll be looking for 13!
Sincerely,
pictureme :-)

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
2 posted 2004-04-24 09:28 PM

Hi Larry:  I enjoyed reading this piece and if you ever figure out how to get what I want, please let me know! Just to make it even more difficult, I'm not telling what it is!

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2004-04-26 10:42 AM

pictureme,
Few have any clue how meaningful it is to be encouraged by a friend. And by a friend I know so little of is even more amazing. Thank you.

Betty Lou,
Well now, from the lady who loves nature almost as much as I do. Could it be...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2004-04-26 04:54 PM

Ginger is smiling.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2004-04-26 07:23 PM

Karilea,
And thanks to you so am I!

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

6 posted 2004-05-20 07:39 AM

Sigh Larry, another great read.

Maree

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
7 posted 2004-05-20 08:51 PM

Maree,
Thanks...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #12

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary