navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » "La Tour Eiffel" (a true story)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic "La Tour Eiffel" (a true story) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
martiniat8
since 2003-06-21
Posts 897
Prague, Bohemia, Czech Republic

0 posted 2003-11-29 05:09 AM

I've slipped into a memory which I wish to forget,
Yet I'm held, wrists tied, to a bond,
to a love
that I have run from
and fought.

Yet I cannot escape it
and I know not how to heal
from that which feels severed
and still feeling bound,
unable to see or hear
direction...

The flash of flourescent light, green, as I sit in the cold pale blue plastic, rocking to and fro. Looking up to my left, above the harsh door, a rainbow of lines criss crossing the Metro. Looking for my escape route as she sits next to me, silent. I fumble with the lump in my right pocket, an engagement ring box wrapped in a plastic bag. Standing I hold on to the cold aluminum bar as the train jerks to a stop. I feel rushed and remember words being spoke by me, something like, "Are you sure this is what you want to do?" If she answered I don;t remember it, perhaps the screeching steel brakes held her reply. I languidly stepped from the train, feeling as I had fallen a great distance, I remember an electric shock of pain from my ankle as I landed on the cement platform. I turned to my left and said, "Here, catch!". I threw her the box the bag rustled thru the air. She caught it as the doors snapped shut and I watched the silver train roar away from me into the dark tunnel, the suction wind pulling me in with it.
   I walked to the ominous tower and it scared me as I neared. I had enough francs to go to the top, but there was no way I'd make it. Sitting on a bench beneath the towering cold criss cross steel. I watched others pass by, lovers kissing and holding hands. I kicked the gray gravel over my sandals wondering if she'd show, knowing she wouldn't I still had to wait it out. She would tell me later that she looked at the tower from the top of Monte Matre, beneath the Sacre Coeur, wishing she was there with me. It didn't make any difference, I was still there and she was with another.
   I snapped a few pictures of myself beneath the tower and of the whirling merry-go-round full of gleefull children. The trains would stop soon, so I hurried off, waiting for what seemed like hours, photographing my sorrow along the way. The rest of the night was hellish waiting for her to return to our room. It began to rain and the steam rose from the sweaty Paris summer streets. I've never felt such fear and jealousy, waiting, waiting, waiting, as the trains had stopped hours ago. I wondered if she would return, if I'd have to fly back alone in a few hours. The torture was indescribable, I feared her raped, or worse, pictured her smile as she rolled in the arms of a lover. It was an agony I cannot describe. Images as vivid as this memory were a reality twether true or not.

Every night since she disappeared has held the same pains and fears, with answers never to begot.

© Copyright 2003 Kenneth Bradley Smith - All Rights Reserved
wintertao
since 2003-11-17
Posts 366
Okaloosa Island, FL
1 posted 2003-12-05 02:02 PM

Salute! great job, really enjoyed this )
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2008-03-14 04:37 AM

Enjoyed reading this...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » "La Tour Eiffel" (a true story)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary