navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Of Insomnia and works of art
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Of Insomnia and works of art Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ljossberir
since 2003-05-04
Posts 81
Ny, USA

0 posted 2003-05-07 09:02 PM

Of insomnia and works of art
        matt keach

One night in my cave, I lay awake restless, uncomfortable in as many ways as possible.
I stared at length at the artistry upon the wall, an etching of a blinding sun.
It mocked me, it stared back, I swore it had eyes as well.

Hanging low in the night sky was the full moon.
But, tonight the moon was blurry and seemed almost.... wet.

This sun, this work of art, would not stop taunting me.
I begged its reprieve but to no avail.

I retreated to an inner part of the cave, dashing in disgust.
But I realized soon curiousity was also powering my trip away from the outer areas.
I slowed to a crawl when I realized I had no knowledge of where I was in this cave.

Still, I moved forward. Despite my confusion on my location, something still seemed so familiar
I could not decipher what it was, but somehow I knew I had been there many times before.

Along the way I met with several cobwebs and spatterings of what appeared to be blood.
Bones lay broken on the ground and they crunched beneath my feet.  
The sound sent a shiver through my body.

I paused, confused why I felt no fear. Many things seemed to make little sense about the situation.

I became very thirsty from the walk.
I heard moving water, perhaps some type of spring inside the cave.
I followed the noise. I came upon a beautiful flowing stream.

Extremely thankful, I kneeled down next to it, making a cup with my hands.
I dipped them into the cool water and took a deep draught. Surprisingly,
the taste was putrid, and I spat it back into the water, not knowing what was wrong with it.

I glanced to the roof of the cave and to my amazement an exact replica of my sun etching,
only it had an even brighter glow.  I didnt remember drawing the etching in this location,
and that frightened me. No one else besides me knew how to etch it so perfectly.

The light of the drawing revealed the color of the tainted water, a muckish brown and green.
I didnt blame myself for tasting it once, I was extremely thirsty besides it was running so it
appeared ok.

The drawing began teasing me and harrassing me again, staring at me with what I now thought    
                were eight thousand eyes. I sprinted away from the stream and further inside the cave, dreaming
of escaping the damned thing.

I got an eerie feeling that ran up my spine and I slowed once again. I couldn't believe what I came upon next. The caves celing climbed up hundreds of feet. There were buildings, 1, 2, 3... or more. I can't recall the exact number.

I got that sensation once again that I had been to this spot before, countless numbers of times. It seemed so interesting but yet so depressing...

I think it was the ruins of some type of ancient city inside the cave. What appeared to be a temple streched the highest of the buildings but I knew was nowhere near what it must have been originally.
Curious ideas raced through my mind. I wanted to know who lived here. I wanted to know why it was familiar. I wanted to know if I knew these people.

What if I lived here once?  It seemed so familiar. It was definitely possible. I sighed, I'm so lost, I don't know how to get out of here... but at least I escaped the blinding sun. Still, something inside made me apt to stay for a short time, or even a long while.

The place grew on me after only minutes. The curiousity got so fierce it was almost painful. I had to know what this place is, or... was. I wanted to know why I had forgotten, I wanted to know
everything.

The whole place got blurry, just like the moon. Soon, it got better. When it did, I found a strange object at my feet that was not there a minute earlier. A statuette of some kind. It was so beautiful, it was a statue of a strong man posed with muscles flexing, a coin in one hand and a blade in another.
Such excellent artistry I had never seen before. Or had I?

I glanced lower to examine the rest of him, only there was barely any. His legs were both almost completely gone, with rivets on the bottom as if they had been broken off. This shocked me, why ruin such a great piece of art? Why?

And who made it? And why? I knew I had seen it before, but where, with who, when?
I heard a step behind me, and a cackle. Before I could turn I felt a blow to my head.

I awoke, only it was in the outer cave again, my home. But I was bloody all over my body,
my eyes were sore and my head was cut badly. I remembered suddenly who made the statue.
The sun, it was the sun!

But how was this art alive? It was my drawing, my art. I felt strange, I glanced below me...
I pulled off my blanket. Why were my legs gone?! Why are my legs gone?!

The sun appeared over me once again, it cackled at me and taunted me once again.
"You have it backwards." it said "You are my creation. You are my piece of art." It sliced the statues hand off with one motion. I then realized my hand was gone  

"No!" I screamed. "This is a nightmare, I'm going to wake up!" I said.
"You're not dreaming, and you're not asleep. You are merely mine" it said.

© Copyright 2003 K - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2003-05-07 11:52 PM

this was very cool ...
abstract and uniquely bizzare...(meant as a compliment)
clever use of dreamscapes and imagery to create this unusual and interesting write.
Welcome to poetry land ...
nice to have you here with us.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Of Insomnia and works of art

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary