navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » 750 mL left in my life
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic 750 mL left in my life Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ethan Halo
since 2000-04-28
Posts 793
on the roof again

0 posted 2002-12-01 03:51 AM

*we had to write a bit about...well you'll see. this is short, but i wanted to write something. blegh. enjoy*

A receptacle of vitality stranded alone in the wasteland between Barstow and Baker. It's an ugly contradiction; rain gone modular to accomodate the stupid and brave that traverse these arid dunes and sandy fissures.

There's seven-hundred fifty milliliters left in my life. The sun continues to patiently burn, eagerly waiting for my small alpine spring to run dry. The wind continues to chap my lips, coercing my mouth to dive into the last of the filtered, melted, mountain snow.

I ease the sports top open, teeth gripping lightly, lips gently touching the viscous life. It's like the kiss on a first date; lips slightly parted, warm and inviting but unsure of how much to take, hands gripped firmly to prevent the escape of my passion.

The bottled clarity reflects back the sun's devlish grin, like a defiant child stealing a cookie while his mother watches him from outside through the window. Both parties seem to know it's only a matter of time.

Seven-hundred twenty-five milliliters left in my life...

it's our struggle for identity that leaves us all unknown

[This message has been edited by Ethan Halo (12-01-2002 03:54 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Ethan Halo - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2002-12-01 10:24 PM

this is one of those pieces that, when in a larger body of work, makes the author memorable. not to suggest that it isn't well-done here (pardon the pun) but rather that it feels incomplete... like a vignette rather than a whole.

well-worded, i liked this.

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
2 posted 2002-12-02 10:54 AM

I like this a great deal; actually I think it would make a marvelous poem...I am very unfamiliar with guidelines of prose and haven't a clue where one turns into the other. In any case,  this is quite descriptive and very enjoyable as is.

Thank you, warm regards, Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

Angel101¢¾!
since 2007-10-21
Posts 48
Lost in pain
3 posted 2007-11-10 08:41 PM

Its a very good poem i think u should change it only if thats what u want dont let anyone tell u what 2 do
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2007-11-11 03:34 AM

Nice...James
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2007-11-13 11:38 AM

Well, Ethan, I'm very glad to see this pop
up from the back boards. I missed it the first time around...

and I have to agree with Christopher on this, in part. I enjoy vignettes. Being as I grew up in your neck of the woods, I could imagine this scene very easily, and even added in some oak trees with the Spanish moss slowing waving in the wind.

Vignettes are supposed to be pictorial in nature...you paint your words to an edge; and in allowing the viewer/reader to see beyond them is the true art...

Well done, Sir.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » 750 mL left in my life

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary