navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Hearing Sunshine
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Hearing Sunshine Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace

0 posted 2002-09-06 07:37 PM

Hearing Sunshine

Have you ever heard sunshine? I know you have seen it. And felt it. But hear it? I must live a charmed life for I have heard sunshine twice. Some people go through their entire existence and never hear it. Sad for them I think, for the sweetest sound I have ever heard, came floating from sunshine. Sunshine has a heavenly sound and if heard is never forgotten no matter how long ago it was heard. It has the notes that come with a promise that you will never be alone even in your darkest hours. It has the kind of sound that permeates through walls. Shouts through windows leaving them intact and leaving them with a glimmer they never had before. Nothing before in my life prepared me for this moment. It was a questioning kind of time that made you ask all of yourself. And I was trying to shed myself of all I was to become whom I needed to be. It came at a time I was desperately trying to separate myself from another human being. Which seems so funny for we as humans so desperately need each other in our cling and what we gain from them. But at this point I NEEDED the separation. I found myself surrounded by a caravan of strangers. Which in some ways made me uneasy and uncomfortable. Like the dream of standing in front of the class with either your under ware or nothing on at all. But sometimes exposing yourself to strangers can be the best way, for you tend to tell the whole story, for they have no emotional ties to you or to the situation. And here I was naked with strangers. Sharing my deepest joy and pain with people I had had a casual embrace with. There can be such beauty in pain. And I don’t mean the sick kind, I mean the real kind. Pain makes us stronger and teaches us with it, the place where the greatest joys that can be found. It makes us see the truth in things. And has an understanding all its own. It is the true proving ground to strength. All of a sudden I lost all my digressions, and a child became a woman. True pain came. Pain came beneath a cut and some tears, and forever my life was changed. And it was no accident. No accident that my cuts bled. I wanted to scream. The deep screams of my mother and her mother and her mother before her. Blood dripped as slowly as my salted joy. Then all doubt in myself vanished. A miracle happened, in darkness brilliant sunlight. And I heard it sing. His name was Brian and he was my sun.

Two and a half years later another sun sang the same sweet song…Michael.

© Copyright 2002 Helen Chambers - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-09-06 07:47 PM

smiling...yer on fire here. Yes...I love the analogy of sun and birth...very nice...was it City of Angels, (movie--with Nicholas Cage and the terminally cute Meg Ryan) where the angels would gather at dawn to listen to the sun coming up...

I read your second post btw, and loved that too, but had to suppress an urge to join the dear talented Professor in a continuation...

you have made quite a leap--I am thrilled to hear another timbre of "your voice."

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
2 posted 2002-09-06 07:50 PM

jump in all you want
happy with the company
i am pleased you are liking

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2002-09-07 06:48 AM

Helen....something called me to read this, perhaps the title, perhaps...you.  I may not always respond, but do know, I read....oh yes, I read....

and this, I read very well.  Thank you for this, although it was not intended for me, I know...but....still.....

Neeraja
since 2002-06-22
Posts 812
The Netherlands
4 posted 2002-09-08 10:46 AM

Like Sunshine... I was tempted to read this piece because of the title!!!

It was a lovely read!

Neeraja

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
5 posted 2002-09-28 09:53 PM

The title drew me in too. This was beautiful. I haven't heard sunshine yet but I know I will someday!

--Beth

Howl at the stars, whisper when you're sleeping, I'll be there to hold you, I'll be there to stop the chills and all the weeping.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Hearing Sunshine

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary