navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Taunting
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Taunting Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace

0 posted 2002-09-05 09:56 PM

Taunting

Rain hit with spoon on metal velocity. Startling me like some absent lover coming up behind touching curves. Flooding my room with darkness I hadn’t know before. Lightening shockingly sent waves down my spine, as hairs on my arms stood at attention to some general abruptly entering a closed room. Thunder silenced all around with piercing scream meant to change dreams to reality. And there I was. Alone. Caught in another waking nightmare more closely to glass than I should have been. My lullaby had been interrupted by some angry child screaming for total attention. And I was angered myself by the interruption of my fantasy. The child it seemed was not going to still for quite sometime so I sat upright in my bed. Remaining in the dark letting it rage. Rage is a funny thing. It pounds seemingly out of control. Blinded by self-absorption  complaining to no one but itself, to have it’s own way. And here I was in the front row, the lone patron, in a hall with the full orchestra of symphonic anger storming. Trashing earth. Pounding fist and filling anything in its path. Seeing only red, it moved from place to place reaching for brail or any corner to capture in it’s blindness. It was a dance of demons gone to the ninth power. At first, I even let it have my power, angering myself. But with no struggle, I took it back. Rage continued as I sat back peacefully watching, wondering when. When. All of a sudden without any notice, it threw a purple fist towards me. I reacted in the quickness of it’s own lightening and pointed my finger right at it and said, “ENOUGH”. Surprised by my sheer will, rage pounded for a little while longer then went whimpering away with the attention span of a three year old to taunt another’s lullaby.  

© Copyright 2002 Helen Chambers - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2002-09-05 10:08 PM

Helen,
So why am I not surprised at your amazingly strong will? You have so many wonderful descriptive phrases in this piece. I'm sure glad you decided to write prose!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

2 posted 2002-09-05 11:00 PM

Helen, Very descriptive.  I could almost hear the thunder.  I like the part where you said the hairs of your arm stood at attention..Great writing.  Wanda
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
3 posted 2002-09-06 08:51 AM

Enough

I was creeping along the wall, protected from the rain only by the height of the building, probing the dark steps ahead with my cane.  My shoes hydroplaning across rivulets that ran down the wall where it struck above my head and then across the alleyway.  Shallow steps because the worn soles of my too old and leaky shoes and grime coated brick was slick.  The occasional lightening flashes gave a strobe vision of what was before me as the rumble of thunder reverberated around me.  The rain pounded everything making a snare drum of empty trash can and cymbals of window panes darkened with the late hour, as a child gave a muted wail between the sobs of fear.
“Enough” came the scream.  
A light went on behind a curtained window, then the one next to it, and then the one next to that one which was not curtained from where the child’s cries had come.  The sky lit up in momentary brilliance as a woman in sheer white hazed her ivory skin beneath in the moment she reach up to draw the curtains together.  Strobe to a beautiful statue imploring the heavens and eyes that caught mine as I stood there entranced.  It was only just a brief moment and I was pulled out a bit closer stepping into the full force of the rain.  My hair soaked quickly let the water drag my hair in streaks across my face as a cold stream rolled under my collar.  I was chilled, but not from the rain.  Another flash came almost over head, so close that the thunder was there at the same instant shaking the world with sound.  There she stood, arms now to her side but eyes still looking into the pouring rain search for mine and gazing deeply.  The child cried again and she turned toward it in the room breaking contact.  A mother’s voice now soothing spoke words too soft for my ears so full of rain noises.
I walked away slowly with head down and a shuffle step, pausing to glance back as I reached the corner only to see the lights blink out, one, another, then all.

Gloom

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2002-09-06 09:39 PM

Thor sat back and smiled. He had been bored, but ate a grape, biting the pulp within his teeth, he allowed the threat of rain to pour from his lips down to the Earth.

The Gods of other never understood his fascination with the underlings. He smiled again, deciding that a flood might amuse him.
He took a section of sugar coated orange, and placed it between his teeth of power, and bit--and splashed the earth with liquid and bits of pulp.

And then, he leaned forward, to watch...

He wondered, Godly arms on knees, what would humans do to amuse themselves, if they knew the boredom of omnipotence?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Taunting

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary